In a message dated 5/16/2005 3:56:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
As for the materials used, blame your liberal envormental tree-
hugger friends.  The last time a portion of the boardwalk was built
stronger wood was used, but there was a frenzy over the wood being
from the rain-forest.  The new material used was used to appease
them.
This issue could have been solved by using the material that Belmar, New Lyme (CT), and a number of other towns used to rebuild their boardwalk.  It is a composite material made of recycled plastic and sawdust.  In the following link it notes (page 1, right hand side) that Asbury Park was to have used this material.  Does anyone know what happened?  It is quite disappointing that we did not go this route on a number of levels.

You can see in the following article that describes this material, that had we gone this route, it would have been cheaper AND better for the environment in the long run.

Peace, Jim Keady