Dan,

A constant accusation that I am "twisiting words" is the cry of
someone who doesn't want to revisit his own past words.  I'm certain
you and Jim can think of a better response than that.  The truth is
I didn't twist words when I cut and pasted what you said, and the
same for when I cut and pasted what Jim said.

Look, Jim's post said "People" have 3 shortcomings.  It was clear he
was identifying Asbury Park people.  You certainly didn't make clear
he was talking about anyone else.  Maybe Jim should clear it up.
Please name names, Councilman.  Who are the folks you were referring
to?

As for who is an Asbury Parker?  Well, my definition there has
always been quite liberal. In short, Asbury Park belongs to anyone
who wishes to claim it. Even though it is, corporately speaking,
younger than many of the surrounding communities, a great deal of
the faimilies in the surrounding areas came from here.  The world-
wide tourism of its past allows many other people happy memories
that give them a connection here.  To love it is to own it. It's
like NY in that regard. That's why NY never cares if their Senator
is from somewhere else (see Robert Kennedy and Hillary Clinton).

That being said, do I think people with little connection to the
everyday events here should have more say then people who are here
everyday?  No.  Case in point:  Save Tillie. The only reason those
people wanted to save him was because they live so far away
(Maryland) they don't have to look at his ugly face everyday. I do.
That's why I jailed him.  Soon I will kill him.

As for your questions about why can't anyone be a member of the bar,
you seem to misunderstand the role of the lawyer.  It is to advise,
not decide. When settling a case, I tell the client what juries are
typically doing on similar cases and suggest ranges of settlement
value.  Do I decide? No.  The client decides.  In a criminal trial,
I counsel the client on whether he should take the stand.  The
decision is made by him.

So you see Dan and Jim, I have no trouble with seeking advice from
experts on AP issues; but ultimately the people must decide the
issue, experts be damned.

I never thought I'd have to explain Populist ideals to a Democrat.