At 8:34 PM -0700 6/17/05, Kerri Martin wrote:
>Hi Joe-
>the start/finish will be on Cookman and Emory.  Basically, the road closures
>are going to be Cookman and Spring Wood Drive between Bond and Grand.
>
>I'm not sure who exactly at City Hall suggested the move to Cookman Ave after
>it was decided that the roads near Convention Hall were unsuitable.  But I
>will be sure to include your name on the long list of people who would like to
>thank him/her for bringing such a great community event to the town of Asbury
>Park.  Looking forward to seeing hundreds of people out on the streets of AP
>Sunday morning supporting the businesses(that morning or in the future) and
>taking part in the rejuvenation of AP.

Kerri... I posed a question not an indictment. There was no need for your
snarky "I'll be sure to add you to the list..." comment.

I'm assuming you mean Lake Avenue when you say "Spring Wood Drive."

For your information.... Events that are not retail oriented have no place in
the retail corridor of the city. In the past when events that are not retail
oriented are held in the retail corridor, they do nothing to help the retail
businesses that are severely affected by the street closures. Particularly when
events such as the one you are organizing virtually close down the entire
downtown. Even when retailers plan an event that closes down streets, they
understand that you can only close down a block or two of a single street.
(i.e. Taste of Asbury, Guinness Oyster Fest, etc) Never has there been an event
downtown that I can remember that simultaneously closes down entire lengths of
three or four major downtown streets. Perhaps your non-retail event being held
in the retail corridor, on what would otherwise be a busy shopping day, will be
the exception. Good luck.

Since you are cutting off all Cookman Avenue parking as well as the Municipal
and on-street parking on Lake Avenue, has your event arranged for any special
parking places for the hundreds of people you are expecting?