Here's an interview with Philip May of the Ocean Grove Historical
Society from the oral history project of Monmouth County
http://www.visitmonmouth.com/oralhistory/bios/MayPhilip.htm

although he doesn't give a timeframe, it's in the same context as
the '64 Act.

"...The Civil Rights Act passed. So you had all three branches
working on this, but that didn't mean the people wanted to
integrate. So then came the fight. You had the laws and the books,
but then you had the fight for the integration. And that created the
riots, and sit-ins, and wade ins. The beach between Asbury Park and
in Ocean Grove is not a common beach. I think it belongs to Asbury,
I'm not really quite sure, but there's a beach at the end of Wesley
Lake, that was a "Black beach," that's where blacks could swim. But
that's also where the sewers emptied into. With the civil rights
movement there were many, many new ideas and laws, and of course,
they triggered the riots."

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82"