I've a theory that the predominantly white towns surrounding us resented seeing the black generations mature here, producing lawyers, judges, business leaders, academics, doctors, merchants, and civic leaders. So everytime sin city acted up, they jumped on it, rolling all the city's diversity into an unholy spector of some kind. ( In fact it seems that 'sin' is trotted out whenever one race wants to bad mouth the other.)
To this day, I feel the racists among the surrounding towns - and no I'm not saying all our neighbors are racists - don't want to see Asbury come back as an integrated city. They want to prove their adage that in order to clean up a town you have to gentrify - read segregate - it. I want to see Asbury's people - black and white - hold their heads up high and say HA HA HA - we did it and we did it together!!
Maureen

In a message dated 8/1/2005 9:09:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com writes:
   Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:30:12 -0400
   From: Lighty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Racism

It surprises me that there are people who think Asbury Park doesn¹t have any
race problems anymore ­ just a small city with everyone living alongside
each other.  Well, they should follow this Yahoo group for a while.  The
past few weeks have been virtually all race related posts.

Maybe it¹s a bigger problem than people think.

Speak up - It's America!!
Maureen Nevin
Restore Radio 88.1FM - "5" Years on the Radio!!

Asbury Park's Own Live Talk Show
601 Bangs Avenue
Listen 8 - 10 PM Thursdays on 88.1FM or
Listen Live or Later on the Web http://www.restoreradio.com/