--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lighty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just can't understand why a town that has the chance to be
something big
> would rather blend in with its neighbors as just another town.
Maybe I'm
> missing something, but if I was Bradley Beach and I knew that there
was an
> angle which would make tourism skyrocket in the town - I'd do it in
> heartbeat.

Lighty, I'll try again to put this in perspective. This was not a
plan developed by the people or City of Asbury Park. It was a
contract negotiated behind closed doors at a bankruptcy settlement. A
contract that violated the existing 1991 mixed use plan in place at
the time.

When the 'new' residential plan, based upon the contract was
presented to the people, and the City wanted to change the deal,
Fishman threatened litigation. Duany was brought in to sort things
out, a few items were changed here and there but he testified that
this was "planning by contract". It remained a residential plan.

The taxpayers desires were ignored, the planning boards
recomendations were ignored, the Council testified that the felt they
had to follow the MOU, and the few critics of the entire process were
effectively "black-listed".

This was not a planning, public input, City driven, plan; it was a
developer driven, negotiated behind closed doors, bankruptcy
settlement, contract that violated the existing land use at that time.

Over time it took on a ligitimacy of its own, because no one
challanged it, and here we are today.

Werner

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM