Don't worry Werner, I'm done posting for a while - I don't wish to be a
top-3 poster...

Just wanted to point out to you and to others that the thread which has
dominated the past day and a half IS EXTREMELY relevant to Asbury Park.
Maybe in the future we need to include the words "Asbury Park" to get past
the Werner filter, but the truth is that the town is in a major rebuilding
period of time and the question of what role art will play in that
rebuilding is a valid one.

There's little doubt that the influx of art galleries in the downtown sector
played a role in spurring interest from visitors (i.e. First Night largely
springs from the art galleries) as well as other business owners.  The
question is where does the town go from here.

The Art Council of Asbury Park believes that art can play a major role in
the revitalization of the town.  I agree.  I also think that Asbury Park is
in the rather unique situation of being able to use art to spur interest and
revitalization without KICKING the artists out.  Asbury does not have to
follow the normal trend (which Blue seems to deny) of using art to start a
rebuilding and then moving away from art once the artists have done their
job and raised property values.

Asbury Park has always been a place artists have flocked to.  Like it or
not, but the music scene kept the city on the map through the past few
decades.  It was one of the few things luring people to the town on a
consistent basis just as the art galleries are doing today.  So, I think the
question of what role art will play in Asbury Park is a truly valid one.
IMO, Asbury Park should seek to be a cultural center for New Jersey.  It has
the space, the buildings (that need to be refurnished), the artists, and the
history.

And judging from the interest at last week's Arts Summit... It has the
interest.

(and please remember that just because a post doesn't mention Asbury Park it
doesn't mean it doesn't relate.  The thread started based on the emminent
domain issue and Long Branch.  Asbury Park is dealing with the same issues)

See ya all in a few months...

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM