I caught that when he said it, and I immediately thought of you, my
friend.

Let's clear up a few things.  Abramoff is not a "Republican"
scandal.  Democrat Minority leader Harry Reid took $60K from
Abramoff and won't give it back.  Republican Majority leader Bill
Frist took $1K and gave it back.  Whose scandal is it?  I predict it
will take down members of both parites.

As to the President's concern that activist Judges might re-define
marriage, well I share that concern.  You see marriage isn't defined
in the Constitution at all.  Not even heterosexual marriage.  Any
judge trying to offer a "definition" of marriage based on
Constitutional law, be he for or against anyone's marriage, is over-
stepping his judicial bounds no matter what result he "makes up."

"Definitions" aside, there is an entirely different argument to be
made on constitutional equal rights grounds.  On that point I have
distanced myself from both the postions of one George W. Bush and
one John F. Kerry.  I did so quite publicly, and I believe my column
entitled "Don't Weaponize the Constitution, Mr. President" has been
posted on gayasburypark.com for about 2 years now.

It is a well run site Joe.  You should check it out sometime.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Joe D'Andrea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Will the BlueBishop, who was quick to distance himself from MOG's
religious views likewise distance himself from President Bush's
inference that same-sex relationships are immoral institutions that
must be shielded from children and equating them with the lobbying
scandals that have plagued his Republican Party in recent weeks?

> For the State of the Union address:
> "Many Americans, especially parents, still have deep concerns
about the direction of our culture, and the health of our most basic
institutions. They are concerned about unethical conduct by public
officials, and discouraged by activist courts that try to redefine
marriage," said President Bush, ethically tying marriage equality
for same-sex couples to kick-back scandals that have led to the
indictment of Republican House Leader Tom Delay and a senior White
House official.

> "I am encouraged by the progress the President has made in
appointing judges 'who are servants of the law' and who refuse 'to
legislate from the bench,' marriage is a concern that cannot be left
to the prerogative of the courts," said Family Research Council
President Tony Perkins in reaction to the address.

> Immediately after President Bush compared the recognition of same-
sex marriage to Republican ethics scandals, Republican National
Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman emailed Republican supporters in
response. Mehlman urged past contributors to the Republican National
Committee to sign a petition supporting the points President Bush
made in his address, and to contact Congress to convey that support.
The request was followed by a solicitation for "soft money" funds
for the committee.