"Regarding the Down Town - That is different context entirely, It's
compact, has residential, will have parking decks, and MAY have
destination business eventually."

If Tom will tolerate day trippers patronizing Asbury's bars,
restaurants and entertainment, they'll have to be provided parking or
that business will wither.  Call them whatever makes you comfortable,
lots, decks, garages, etc they'll need to be in close proximity to
venues, and I doubt they'll turn significant revenue.

Reidy seems convinced that "pay parking" is going to be a sort of home
run for Asbury, I doubt it.  Towns lost the retail war over free and
easy parking, consumers have been trained for 50 some years to expect
parking or travel to where it's available.

I've asked Terry if he's seen any cost/benefit analyses re parking
meters; they must exist and for a town like Asbury I can't imagine
revenue and fines recover initial investment in anything but Fishman
time, i.e. 30+ years.

Further, why piss-off out of towners with a disincentive to come here?
 Being the exception to the rule of sneaking up on parked cars to levy
fines, would I'm convinced pay big dividends; reminds me when I first
moved to Toronto, they have signs in all the city parks "Pease walk on
the grass", sidebar, today they even welcome you to smoke it.