I respectfully disagree with the "free speech" argument.  When the
Constitution was written, there was no internet.  The idea was for a
citizen to speak his or her mind in a public space, where in a public
square or in a newspaper without prosecution.  In these realms, the speaker
was easily recognized.

Why should the advances in technology not reflect this same accountability?
Whistleblowers can still be sources for reporters. This would protect the
identidy of sources while offering accountability for the information.

Why should a death threat, hate speech, or sexual predators be offered
protection in a nameless world of websites?  I have taken many reports of
aggravated harassment via e-mail and chat rooms and it can be mentally
hurtful for the victims.  Personally, I received threats via a Craigslist
ad for a bartender for a party who got worse when I blocked his e-mail
address and he attacked stronger via a different e-mail address.

Due to  AOL's responsible accounting, the gentleman was found and arrested.

So, I believe that everyone should be man or woman enough to sign their
opinions.  Whistleblowers have avenues to spread their information
responsibily and should use those avenues instead of anonymous postings.

TOM WOLFE