So why isn't the money given directly to the Board of Education, so
that THEY can choose their most worthy students, to be recipients of
this money? Seems like the Guild is about th guild, the Chamber is
about the Chamber and the "real" citizens, especially the kids, get
screwed, as usual!
My Organization raises money ALL year from raffles and charity
affairs to give 2 $500.00 Book Scholarships to 2 Asbury Park
Students and 2 Neptune Students, of color, because my Legion Post is
predominantly Black. Why? Post 24 of Asbury Park, refused to let
Black Veterans join, so in 1922, Frederick Dempsey Post 266 of
Asbury Park, was chartered! In 1940, Mrs. Austin, the owner of 240
Drummond Ave., GAVE the property to the Post for $1.00, as long as
they sponsored Legion Baseball and Boys Scouting. In 2002, the
charter was finally changed to Neptune, NJ, but Black and White
Citizens of this fair city are invited to our installation of
officers and other charitable affairs.  Frederick Dempsey of Asbury
Park, died over in France in 1918.  His Mother, Mrs. Emma Dempsey,
of Embury Ave., was our first, Gold Star Mother.  For all you so-
called historians out there, I can give you the address, where Mrs.
Dempsey lived.  You know next to nothing about the history of
African-Americans in this region, yet you have a so-called
historical society. Why? You're ALL from somewhere else!
--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Wow, does it really have to be spelled out for you JJ?  The
purpose
> of the Chamber of Commerce is to promote the business community,
not
> educate the children.
>
> When you have a strong economic engine in a City and a Chamber
with
> a track record of helping the businesses to make money and
everyone
> is flush with cash, then you can break off some largess for a
> scholorship for whatever goodwill traction it might bring you.
>
> Now think back to AP when you Chamber people picked up Bruce's
> money. Was Asbury or the Chamber in such a cash flush position to
> just give away the money? Collectively you people couldn't think
of
> anything to do with the money to help the business community?  The
> only thing you could think of was to give it away to students?
>
> You're the Chamber of Commerce, not the Board of Education.
>
> The Chamber never thinks of Asbury Park's business community,
> primarily because they aren't part of it.  How many of the
Chamber's
> board of directors actually have a business in the City.  The
> President doesn't.  You don't.  I don't count branch offices like
> the Gas Co. and Sovereign Bank - it isn't like they are dependant
on
> AP's economy to make their money.
>
> Mostly the Chamber has functions outside of AP.  I had to go to a
> function in Neptune to sign up.
>
> Tom Gilmour brought the Chamber in on First Saturday, and it's no
> coincidence that it went right in the toilet.  Now that the
> Merchants Guild has decided to pick up the pieces, watch it rise
up
> again.
>
> When the AP Press did that 5 day hit piece on the City and there
was
> Community outrage, the Merchants Guild fired back and protected
the
> City.  The Chamber said it "wasn't their place to respond."  Well
of
> course not, the Press was talking about AP.  That isn't the
> Chamber's area, is it?
>
> The Press said on the front page that the only available jobs in
AP