We don't have large paternalistic corporations in this area - and possibly in the country - anymore. And the ones that are here no longer want their employees spending hours at meetings while on the payroll. Stu Koperweis tried for months to get a coalition going between merchant members and chamber members. Call me sometime and I'll tell you about the back stabbing that defeated that. And, it didn't have anything to do with saving Asbury. It's all about phony smiles and big shows to lure investors, some of which did a piss poor job of vetting their own talent.
You're way off base with your impressions on this one. Stu worked full time for half pay to try to save that chamber. It's time someone acknowledged as much.
Maureen

In a message dated 4/25/2006 9:11:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com writes:
Message: 23
   Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:02:41 -0000
   From: "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "squandered"

Wow, does it really have to be spelled out for you JJ?  The purpose
of the Chamber of Commerce is to promote the business community, not
educate the children.

When you have a strong economic engine in a City and a Chamber with
a track record of helping the businesses to make money and everyone
is flush with cash, then you can break off some largess for a
scholorship for whatever goodwill traction it might bring you.

Now think back to AP when you Chamber people picked up Bruce's
money. Was Asbury or the Chamber in such a cash flush position to
just give away the money? Collectively you people couldn't think of
anything to do with the money to help the business community?  The
only thing you could think of was to give it away to students?

You're the Chamber of Commerce, not the Board of Education.

The Chamber never thinks of Asbury Park's business community,
primarily because they aren't part of it.  How many of the Chamber's
board of directors actually have a business in the City.  The
President doesn't.  You don't.  I don't count branch offices like
the Gas Co. and Sovereign Bank - it isn't like they are dependant on
AP's economy to make their money.

Mostly the Chamber has functions outside of AP.  I had to go to a
function in Neptune to sign up.

Tom Gilmour brought the Chamber in on First Saturday, and it's no
coincidence that it went right in the toilet.  Now that the
Merchants Guild has decided to pick up the pieces, watch it rise up
again.

When the AP Press did that 5 day hit piece on the City and there was
Community outrage, the Merchants Guild fired back and protected the
City.  The Chamber said it "wasn't their place to respond."  Well of
course not, the Press was talking about AP.  That isn't the
Chamber's area, is it?

The Press said on the front page that the only available jobs in AP
is for drug dealers and the few stores that opened on Cookman were
too expensive to shop in.  THE FRONT PAGE!  That's not for the
Chamber to respond to?  Good thing the Merchants Guild was there to
fire back.

The Chamber is a stinkin' joke.  The Merchants Guild makes things
happen with $50.00 yearly dues. What is the Chamber's, like 4 times
that or something? The Merchants Guild will never merge with the
Chamber because the Chamber isn't about AP, and when you get
a $50,000.00 gift the entire brain trust can't think of anything
more to do with it than give it all away.

Squandered.

Maureen Nevin
Asbury Radio -"The Radio Voice of Asbury Park"
88.1FM - "5" Years on the Air!!
Asbury's Own Live Talk Show
601 Bangs Avenue
Listen 8 - 10 PM Thursdays on 88.1FM or