--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "jerseyjohn99" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Asbury Park tax rate (equalized): 1.674%
> Spring Lake tax rate (equalized): 0.607%

Equalized is the tax rate multiplied by the tax rate.

> Don't forget that it costs nearly 3X more for the privilege of
owning
> that same Victorian in Asbury Park.
>
> Now consider the fact that the waterfront abatement is tied to
actual
> sales prices in the secondary market. In a down real estate market
> it's a pretty good bet you'll be paying a HIGHER tax rate in 10
years
> as you bear the municipal burden for the buyers who get the condos
at
> fire-sale prices along the way.

I assume you are saying that when the abatement burns off the prices
of the condos will decline? It is important that the sales price is
used as the basis of taxes.  A condo selling for $500 K will be
assessed at $500K. Not so with a non-abated home. However, all of
that may go out the window with an expected revaluation. The taxes
in AP are relatively high for the qulaity of life. However, one
could get in here at one time for a good price. Not so with Spring
Lake. Buying righthere the upside was much greater than neighboring
towns. That's why I bought.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM