Title: Re: [AsburyPark] On liverpool -
from yahoo news:
http://tinyurl.com/hn4xz

Interesting.

I think the idea of music tourism in Asbury Park is over.  After talking with several residents of the city tonight – all of whom are involved in the music industry – it’s clear to me that the city (for one reason or another) refuses to want to promote its musical past.  For me, this is rather insane.  Not only is Asbury’s musical past a tourism goldmine, but it puts the spotlight on the current scene (as shown in the Liverpool article).  Nevertheless, these city residents believe (as does people like Tri City) that Asbury should abandon its past regardless of its national and international stature.  While I have heard such things before, I think tonight was the first time I had heard such things from people in the industry.  Most people in the music industry cannot understand why Asbury doesn’t promote its history more.

And I think I may be starting to understand it...

All along the Jersey Shore, we residents hate the bennies.  We live with tourists for 3-4 months and hate the tourists tremendously even though they play such a role with our economy.  Now, what if those tourists were around for 12 months of the year.  I think this is what is keeping Asbury residents from wanting to push the music history / tourism.  They know that Asbury will no longer be a tourist place for just the summer but year round.  And they hate the idea of that.

So forget about the jobs music tourism would create... Forget about the revenue brought into the city... Forget about the people staying in the hotels and eating in the restaurants and shopping in the stores...   Asbury Park residents would prefer to be a quiet residential shore town.

I just wish people would come out and say it.  You’re either residential or you’re a tourist town.

Asbury park home Asbury park nj Asbury park hotel
Asbury park foreclosure Asbury park real estate Asbury park

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS