Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 10:19 PM
Subject: [AsburyPark] fighting a mission is a futile action

I applaud Councilman Keady for standing up for the least among us, in our communities.

I stand with him and rely upon the following scriptures of Christian faith:

Matt: 25:35 and following.

I would also point out something you need to consider.

Before you take on such a legal battle, you need to realize what it has cost the taxpayers of the City of Long Branch to fight The Lighthouse Mission here.  The ongoing litigation is in it's 7 th year.  You being a citizen driven private dollar venture - it will cost you more.  Having the City Council ask the City Attorney to file an amicus will now cost your tax payers as well.

The expert damages report for the Lighthouse Mission is in excess of $3,000,000.00 and growing and this does not include the legal costs associated with the litigation.

The Department of Justice's Civil Right's Division will most likely defend the mission and you will cost additional tax payers dollars, because tax payers fund the DOJ.

Obviously the gay community of Asbury is grinding a single issue - all because the shelter will not house homeless gay men.  However, practical operations of any institutionalised organization prudently provides services in shelters seperately.  A men's shelter does not serve women.  Nor does a women's shelter provide for men.  If the gay community really wanted to do the right thing and save themselves a lot of money, they would open a gay men's shelter.

I am saying this with all due respect.  If you wanted to arbitrate some resolve I would be willing to play Jesse Jackson for you guys in this issue.

God Bless Us All.

Reverend Kevin Brown
Lighthouse Mission
Long Branch, NJ

Asbury park home Asbury park nj Asbury park hotel
Asbury park foreclosure Asbury park real estate Asbury park

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS