> ---if there ever was a need for eminent domain to remove a public
> nuisance and blight, those bungalows at 2nd and Kingsley are it.
>
> Let's not get into a history discussion here on them. Plow 'em
down.

I'll bite. Probably the only thing I'll ever agree with Justice
Thomas on. Eminent domain should never be used to remove blight or
public nuisance. That's what police powers are for, eminent domain
is a separate power for public use. I have suggested this before to
the Deputy Chief. They should use seizure laws more agressively with
property. Houses that are being used for drug dealing, etc.; if the
landlord doesn;t try to evict the tenant (with government help),
seize the property. Too many absentee slumlords in AP. Why doesn't
the city enforce its regs with boarded up scattered site properties?
They are supposed to be seized within 6 months if not rehabilitated.
One on Asbury Ave betw Grand & Emory just got bulldozed thanks to
the vigilance of a resident. What about the Emory Deli with drug
dealers hanging outside all day? What about the rental on the sec
corner of Asbury & Emory where the police have been trying to get a
drug dealer out? Where's the landlord? Seize (police power not
eminent domain) the property.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM