When did the world become so simplistic - so black and white -
so "you're either with me or against me?"  These posts are getting
more and more ridiculous over the past few days.

This country was built on compromise - on diverse groups with
differing views meeting somewhere in the middle on a range of
issues.  This is what sets us apart from so many other societies
where there is a right way to think espoused by the government and a
wrong way to think that can get you put in jail or even killed.
Nobody has a patent on being right.

Yet the political climate nationally, at the state and local level
and even in places like this board is one of total disregard for
others views.  Republicans and Democrats in Congress don't even talk
to each other and rather than disagreeing demonize each other
personally - no wonder nothing gets done.  The same thing happens
here.  Many people on both sides of the arguments, from political to
redevelopment to pretty much any topic at all, totally and
completely abuse and denegrate personally anyone who sees things
differently from themselves.  It is neither productive or fun.

Case in point...  Both Tom and Jim (and those in either camp) have
very valid points regarding the shooting and how to address this.
But everyone is too busy taking the opposing extremes and crapping
on each other to take a step back and understand the perspectives
each side brings and the validity of each argument.

I don't agree with Jim Keady most of the time and did not vote for
him, nor would I based on his views.  That said,  from anything
credible I've ever heard or seen he is a principled guy who is
trying to do what he believes is the right thing.  And he is right
when he links crime to the lack of productive activities for the
kids in this town.  In my opinion the long-term solution to our
problems must be solved by trying to keep good kids from going bad.
Rather than a productive argument, some of the things that have been
written about him, particularly by Tom, on this board are beyond
nasty, and border on ridiculous.  Rather than take on his views he
is being castigated as a person.

That said, I virtually never agree with Tom on anything he says or
writes.  But in my opinion he is also right when he says that in
this particular case the guy was scum.  You don't commit this crime
without being an evil person.  A heavy police effort is also
necessary to solve this problem in the short term.  Because this
situation is what it is, and there needs to be long-term solutions
and short-term enforcement.

Both are right.  They are just solving different components of the
problem.  A problem that will never really be solved with either
enforcement or recreation alone.  And everyone is too busy saying
nasty things about each other to really step back and see it.

The (admittedly too long-winded) point is let's cut through the crap
and vile comments and start actually reading beyond the author of
the emails to the actual points being made.  Maybe if we could dial
back on the BS a little bit we'd actually find ways of making a
difference in this town.  Or we could all just write really nasty
things about each other.  Because that's all this has really become,
isn't it.