Racism is indeed a serious charge.  If the shoe fits...People are
always making racist statements ALL, the time.  Through years of
either home or religious indoctrination, a lie repeated over and
over, sounds like truth!  You don't even realize it.  I myself, was
taught, that whites who were poor, were incompetent.  I once asked
my father, why some whites were poor.  His answer was, he didn't
know, but "don't feel sorry for them," he said.  When I asked why,
he answered, "because they're white"!  I never understood that
statement.  My father's, father died, when he was 6 months old.  He
was a barber by trade, cut only the heads of white men and appeared
to be white.  My grandmother, was a reddish/brown, complected woman,
half Indian and half black.  My father was a mixture of both, spoke
fluent French and later Italian.  The relatives on his father's
side, appeared white, while on his mother's side, were fair, to dark-
skinned, people of color.  When I was born, my father's relatives
took to me, because I represented who they were, as opposed to
darker skinned Blacks.  See, racism was a part of Black culture,
too!  You have no idea, when Blacks hate themselves for being black;
but that's another indoctrination, I don't care to go into, now.
Racism exists everywhere, not just one ethnic over another.  I've
heard disparaging remarks against Polish, Jewish, Italians, etc.
It's very disheartening, to be an American in such a racist
environment, yet, there's no race or religion, in a foxhole!  Tommy,
you seem like a very intelligent man.  I believe your parents raised
a good, kid.  I have great admiration and genuine concern for you,
yet, you sound just like the despots on Capital Hill, who disparage
each other, constantly.  Can't be for the salary they receive, so it
must be for the pork and the patronage, that comes with the
position.  I enjoyed genuinely, your Asbury Park History.  Who
better than you to narrate and get the facts straight.  Werner is
dedicated to keeping the flavor of what was once, "The Pearl of the
Jersey Shore, Asbury Park".  No problem with that, either.  Funny, I
admire the hell out of both of you, for your dedication.  Werner
wants to keep Asbury architecturally correct, while a child of
modern times, you want progress!  If you've ever seen the Brooklyn
botanical gardens, the Carousel house, that is crumbling before our
eyes, should be preserved and maintained, because this is what draws
history buffs and those who were raised here.  I remember the
Carousel that was there and I also remember The Palace!  I can walk
there, right now and break down and cry, for things remembered and
things, lost.  I can show you color photos, with my little girl and
her dad, high over the boardwalk, in a ride like a ski-lift, or the
cups that she would ride in, reminiscent of Disney-Land, miniature
golf, Madame Marie and Criterion Candy, the two movie houses left
and the ones gone; The Saint James, Savoy and 2 others.  Sorry, I'm
too old, to conjure up some stuff.  I have those 4 for 50 cents,
black and white photos, that every time I see the guy on PBS doing
the same thing, I begin to cry, then laugh, at how funny my kids
looked back in the 70's, making fools of themselves!  Wednesday
night shopping, on Cookman Ave. and of a light snow falling, making
the night shopping, worth it!  Lanes Drugs, Woolworths', W.T. Grants
and Newberry's, before the dollar stores, where I could get each of
my kids, an inexpensive toy or a hot-dog and soda, for under a
dollar!  The elevator at the old Steinbach's, that had an attendant
and a Post-Office sub-station, on the 1st floor, where just
purchased gifts, could be mailed back, to  my beloved New Orleans,
for my sister's wedding.  See, I missed it, because I wasn't allowed
to fly, during my last pregnancy.  The Youth Center, where I bought
First Communion veils, for my 3 daughters, Buster Brown Shoes, etc.
Not calling you a racist, but you shoud measure what you sound like,
before you post.  Best regards,
Sharon