The issue of caring for Asbury Park's children was the pretense for  a column in the current TriCity issue.  Here's the real deal.

Has civil discourse in America come down to "You suck!"?

"Cheap Shots and Low Blows: How Debate Turns to Hate"  explores the level of debate in America, and how it affects kids.

Nick New with Linda Ellerbee: airs Sunday, November 5 at 8:30 p.m. on Nickelodeon.

I've seen clips from the show, and it looks promising.  Just as much for us adults.  "Out of the mouths of babes..."  Lots of insight from the kids.
Press Release excerpts:

The noise keeps getting louder, and the gloves keep coming off. And not just in politics.

"The question of how we, the people, are going to behave to one another in the public arena when we disagree is an important one," said Ellerbee. "Kids can't escape the messages we're sending. Do we need to examine those messages? If we can't all play nice, can we at least play fair?"

In Cheap Shots and Low Blows, Ellerbee and Nick News sit down with kids from across the country to talk about where we should draw the line when we disagree. Should we be more polite, or does civility only mask true feelings?

Regarding politics, what's fair and what's a cheap shot? When is an ad an attack ad? Is the current level of debate a symptom of a new cultural divide, or just business as usual? The kids look at current and past campaign ads, the tone and words used on talk shows and in political debate, and whether television is fueling the fire Nick News also visits Duluth, Minnesota, a city that has tried to turn the tide on negative rhetoric.

In 2001, Duluth garnered a reputation for being a contentious city. City council meetings were often nasty screaming matches, until a group called the Community Foundation created the "Speak Your Peace Civility Project." Has it worked? Is there a solution? Is there even a problem? After all, mudslinging isn't new to American politics and disagreement is a central part of the American way. But have we gone too far? Nick News, celebrating its 15th year, is the longest-running kids' news show in television history, and has built its reputation on the respectful and direct way it speaks to kids about the important issues of the day.

In 2005, it won the Emmy for Outstanding Children's Programming for its show, From the Holocaust to the Sudan. In 1994, the entire series, Nick News, won the Emmy for Outstanding Children's Programming. In 1998, "What Are You Staring At?" a program about kids with physical disabilities, won the Emmy for Outstanding Children's Programming. In 2002, "Faces of Hope: The Kids of Afghanistan," won the Emmy for Outstanding Children's Programming. In 2004, two Nick News Specials, "The Courage to Live: Kids, South Africa and AIDS" and "There's No Place Like Home," a special about homeless kids in America, were both nominated for the Outstanding Children's Programming Emmy. In fact, Nick News has received more than 20 Emmy nominations.

Asbury park nj real estate United state flag Asbury park nj
Asbury park real estate United state travel