These facts are commonly known by The American Legion and The VFW.
About 4 years ago, Target Stores would not let The Legion or the VFW
ask for donations, during the Poppy Program from May 1st through May
31st, ending the day after Memorial Day.  They claimed to give
corporate donations.  Okay!  I haven't shopped there, since hearing
this.  Donations received from the Poppy program, purchases underwear,
slippers, lotion, combs, brushes and common hygiene products, that
some cannot afford, due to the costs of hospital care at the VA.
Bingo and coffee parties are held throughout the year for the Veterans
to have a little something, while they're in the hospitals.  A special
account is set up for poppies alone, so that all the money collected
goes to direct care for the veterans.  This Holiday Season, American
Legion Unit 266, Neptune will assemble 80 "ditty bags" with these
items.  In each bag will be a $5.00 bill, for sundry items.  We are a
small unit, compared to others.  We also visit veterans in local
nursing homes and at their home, if they can care for themselves.  A
"Thinking of You" or "Get Well" card, can make all the difference.  If
someone calls my post, they're never turned away.  Everything is done
in a dignified manner and it means so much to them.  Target Stores and
Wal-Mart, can go out of business, for all I care!  If you see a
Legionnaire or Veteran of Foreign War, asking for donations, please
give.  It means so much, for all they've done for us.  If you're free,
Thank a Veteran!