I'm not most non-politically vocal person I know - but this was an
interesting article --it's from the front page of local news section
and continues to page 2...  The article is about Councilman Keady,
and there's a quote from Minister John Muhammad of the Nation of
Islam:

"If you don't help us, the city will not come back, and I don't want
it to come back," Muhammad said.  "If you don't build, we don't lose
a dime."

Ummm...  Doesn't that sound a little off?  Any thoughts on where
he's coming from?  Dan?  Tommy?  Anyone?

I don't want to jump to the wrong conclusion or be un-PC towards
Nation of Islam (who lashed out at the Council saying it was setting
the stage for a racist city with the rich on one side, the black and
poor on the other)

In not wanting to make any false assumptions based around my
personal experience with the Nation of Islam ministers who used to
loiter around 14th Street years ago, I did some research, and this
comes from www.islamfortoday.com

"Michael Young examines the Islamic credentials of these self-
styled "Muslims".
August 1, 2001

...Racist ideology also at odds with universal Islam
A third area of non-compliance with Islam, and the one which
receives by far the greatest attention in the secular media, is the
issue of race.  The present "Nation of Islam" leader, Louis
Farrakhan, is on record as having made objectionable anti-Jewish (as
distinct from anti-Zionist) remarks.  Among other unfortunate
utterances, he is alleged to have referred to Judaism as a "gutter
religion".

Moreover, the NOI is a segregationalist organization exclusively for
black people descended from slaves.  Proper Islam is a universal
religion open to people of every race.  Muslims are supposed to
differentiate between people on the basis not of ethnic origin but
of piety and upright behavior.  As the Quran makes clear:

"And mankind is naught but a single nation." Holy Quran 2:213

"O Mankind! Most certainly, it is We (God almighty) who have Created
you all from a single (pair) of a male and a female, And it is We
who have made you into nations and tribes, that ye may recognize
each other.  Verily, the noblest of you in the sight of Allah is (he
who is) the most righteous of you." Holy Quran 49:13

And in his final sermon, Prophet Mohammed  made clear that racism
has no place in Islam:

"O people! Verily your Lord is one and your father is one. All of
you belong to one ancestry of Adam and Adam was created out of clay.
There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab and for a non-
Arab over an Arab; nor for white over the black nor for the black
over the white except in piety. Verily the noblest among you is he
who is the most pious."

In contrast, the NOI has a pronounced anti-white bias.  They refer
to blacks as God's chosen people and Caucasians as white devils.
They call for a separate homeland for American blacks, for racially
segregated education and for a ban on interracial marriage.  To
quote again from their website:

We believe we are the people of God's choice.

WE BELIEVE this is the time in history for the separation of the so-
called Negroes and the so-called white Americans.

We want our people in America whose parents or grandparents were
descendants from slaves, to be allowed to establish a separate state
or territory of their own--either on this continent or elsewhere.

We want all black children educated, taught and trained by their own
teachers.

We believe that intermarriage or race mixing should be prohibited.

Fellow Muslims with eyes the bluest of blue and skin the whitest of
white...
Former NOI members who recognized anti-white racism as folly and
converted to proper Islam include Malcolm X and the world champion
heavyweight boxer, Muhammad Ali.  Both spoke out on the subject:

"[The Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca] was an exhilarating experience to
see people belonging to different colors, races and nationalities,
kings, heads of states and ordinary men from very poor countries all
clad in two simple white sheets praying to God without any sense of
either pride or inferiority. It was a practical manifestation of the
concept of equality in Islam." Muhammed Ali

"During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten
from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept in the
same bed (or on the same rug) -- while praying to the same God --
with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair
was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white.
And in the words and in the actions and in the deeds of the 'white'
Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black
African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana."

"We were truly all the same -- because their belief in the one God
had removed the 'white' from their minds, the 'white' from their
behavior, and the 'white' from their attitude."

"This religion recognizes all men as brothers. It accepts all human
beings as equals before God, and as equal members in the Human
Family of Mankind. I totally reject Elijah Muhammad's racist
philosophy, which he has labeled 'Islam' only to fool and misuse
gullible people as he fooled and misused me. But I blame only
myself, and no one else for the fool that I was, and the harm that
my evangelical foolishness on his behalf has done to others."
Malcolm X
                             XXX

So I ask now, who's setting the stage for a racist city?  Not
Councilman Keady, I can assure you...

Carl Chesna