Kerry the question raised is whether you are in favor of using it on
Springwood Avenue, and what your view is of a particular councilman
who attends anti-ED rallies, called this summer for a state-wide
halt to all ED, yet he wrote a plan for Springwood Avenue that
allows for it to be used to take from a private owner and given to a
private developer.

What say you about those issues?

And you to Rev Kev.  You didn't address them either.

I'm not looking for a lesson on what E.D. is or isn't.  I'm well
aware of it.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, kerry butch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Whenever a municipality designates an "Area in Need of
Redevelopment" it has the power, under redevelopment law in the
State of New Jersey, to use eminent domain. Currently, state law
gives the municipality the authority to take private property to
implement a redevelopment  plan in those "Ares in Need of
Redevelopment". Governing bodies can choose not to use the power.

>   In an effort to explain what eminent domain abuse is,  according
to the Public Advocate, the current laws:

>    allow for use of eminent domain in areas that do not meet the
constitutional requirement of a `blighted area';
>    require little meaningful notice to affected tenants and
property owners;
>    offer few opportunities for real public participation;
>    provide little meaningful opportunity to appeal the designation
of blight to an impartial third party;
>    allow for vague redevelopment plans that are not developed in
conjunction with the community and can be unlimited in their
duration;
>    permit compensation for taken property that is so low that it
does not allow a homeowner to ever own a home in their town again;
>    do not require sufficient relocation planning, and
>    are governed by ethics rules not strong enough to engender
confidence in the redevelopment process.
>   In Asbury Park, it's clear that when people heard the
word "redevelopment" they got very excited and looked forward to
their neighborhood coming back, tourists coming in, investments
being made. Unfortunately, the reality of redevelopment may actually
be to wipe out entire neighborhoods and force current residents and
businesses out.  All without just compensation. I know of one woman
who was given an apraisal for a multifamily house a few blocks from
the ocean that will not cover the cost of one half of a studio
apartment in the condos being built on the waterfront. That's
beyond "not fair." It's government sponsoring the taking of private
property and giving it to another private party at bargain basement
prices.

>   The intention of eminent domain was to allow for the government
to take private property for the public good, such as in building
schools, roads, hospitals, etc. and offering just compensation.
Eminent domain has it's place. Eminent domain abuse needs to stop.