From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:51 AM
Subject: [AsburyPark] Re: Call in the troops

What worries me about this gang problem in AP is how many fronts the
fight against it is going to have to be fought on.
First, there's the gangs themselves. You have to ask, why do they
exist here? What makes becoming a member of a gang more attractive
then not being in a gang?
Next, we have the underlying problems that support the existence of
gangs. AP has been known as a drug destination for decades. Perfect
place for gangs to set up business. Next, there's the prostitution
issue, which seems be waning in my neighborhood at least. Then,
there's the business of keeping the gangs in business, i.e. supplying
guns and things like that.
And what about the families of gang members? How do they not know what
their children are doing? I've used the example here before of my
former next door neighbors who had a teenage bike thief in the family.
It seemed to me that the parents were always too busy arguing to
notice what their kids were doing.
So how do we combat all of that?
Yesterday, I mentioned the issue of environment, and nobody responded
to that. I'll state that again. Asbury has many ugly and depressing
areas, particularly in the west side. Abandoned and boarded up
buildings, litter everywhere. It's very hard for a community to have
pride in itself when the very environment in which it exists is such a
mess. This is a proven fact, and it has been addressed in many cities
much bigger then ours.
Has Asbury ever had a community based volunteer program to clean up
our city? I'd volunteer for that if one existed. It would be nice to
work side by side and get to know people from other walks of life. I
could spare a couple of hours each week to help clean up our city.
I think kids need to be shown an alternative to being in a gang.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Good points Scott, and I'll add that ending segregation in the High
> School will help too.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <asburycouple@>
> wrote:
> >
> > If you'd like to take credit for the obvious I'm cool with that.
> >
> > I don't think anyone has questioned that stepped up enforcement
> and
> > police presence is badly needed to deal with the immediate
> problem.
> > It can't be the only solution, though. The article you quote
> below
> > accurately frames the stepped up enforcement as "what is needed in
> > the short-term". What is really needed is something that gets
> > beyond an ongoing police vs. gang battle. We need a long term
> plan
> > that addresses both the immediate need to battle these gangs today
> > with increased police presence and enforcement combined with plans
> > and programs designed to prevent the next generation of potential
> > gang members from making the choice to go in that direction.
> Again,
> > the article below clearly says that these kinds of programs are
> > important.
> >
> > Neither increased police or increased programs can succeed in a
> > vaccum. They are both tactics desperately in need of a strategy.
> > It is the lack of a real plan, and the venomous political
> > environment that exists right now which may not allow one to
> emerge,
> > that worries me the most. When you are at war, those who don't
> work
> > together die together. We are clearly at war with these gangs.
> >

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> > <justifiedright@> wrote:
> > >
> > > So the Press is saying the appropriate response to these
> killings
> > is
> > > police cracking down, not recreation.
> > >
> > > I wonder who was the first on this board to say that?

> triggering
> > > community
> services,
> > > job

> [...]