On 12/20/2006 at 8:13:18 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This is how a smart town teaches  kids... _http://tinyurl.http://tin_
(http://tinyurl.com/yk9dts)    Notice the goal is to instill values.

All districts are bound by New Jersey's Core Curriculum Standards which
include teaching about various cultures and values:
_http://education.state.nj.us/njsdb/_ (http://education.state.nj.us/njsdb/)

Two examples: 1. Acquire a basic understanding and appreciation of  American
traditions and values based on knowledge of history and of the  development
and functioning of the American constitutional system of government;  2) Apply
an understanding of culture as an integrated whole that explains  the functions
and interactions of language, literature, the arts, traditions,  beliefs and
values, and behavior patterns.

Still, I wish they would reinstate formal civics instruction; the Zogby
poll, below, still irks me.

No Bloods in  Howell.

Maybe not, but not a simple cause/effect as you imply.

I suspect more of us are victims of white-collar crimes and rip-offs
originating from boardrooms in the hinterlands than we are of violent street
crime.

You'd be hard pressed to prove that any sector of our society has a  monopoly
on virtues and values.

On this longest night of the year,

Peace and Good Will to All.

74 percent of  Americans knew the Three Stooges, Larry, Curly and Moe, by
name; only 42  percent could name the three branches of our government.

77 percent could  name two of Snow White's seven dwarfs while only 24 percent
of Americans could  name two United States Supreme Court justices.

Zogby Poll: _NYC;  Good Thing We Citizens Aren't Tested - New York Times_
(http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F30915F7345A0C768CDDAB099
4DE404482)

(http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F30915F7345A0C768CDDAB0994DE404482)