Tommy,
I understand with what you are saying, and in many ways I emphasize with you.
Besides the incidents I mentioned previously, I have one more that had me
worried.
A few months ago, I was walking my dog near the boardwalk, after dark.
I really smelly and somewhat menacing street person asked if I had any spare
money.
I said no.
He said "well, do you have any money at home?" and "where do you live"
I wound up lying to him, telling him I live all the way on the other side of
the city, and I
just happened to be in this neighborhood.
He then preceeded to shadow me on my way home, and just to make sure he
wouldn't
know where I lived, I took a few wrong turns, and eventually lost him.
After that, I found myself wondering about my thoughts.
I think one of the major problems that AP has, as we who live here know, is
public
perception of our city.
It amazed me the amount of negativity I got from friends and co-workers when I
told them
I was moving to Asbury. It ran the gamut of "it's dangerous there" to "I had to
move out of
Asbury 15 years ago  because I was mugged" to "why would you want to go there,
it's ugly"
And i'd never discussed AP with any of those people...just the mere mention of
it provoked
those responses.
That being said, before the redevelopment means a thing, the crime, the
appearance and
the perception of our city really needs to take precidence.
It's been said here many times before...nobody is going to plunk down a rather
large sum
of money to come live in a place such as the Asbury of right now. There are too
many
negatives here, and there are also many, safer and more attractive alternatives.
Asbury needs to clean up it's act.