--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Text Size:|| E-mail   Print   Subscribe   E-mail Alerts
Prosecutor: Gangs on rise in suburban Burlington County
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 12/30/06
ASSOCIATED PRESS

MOUNT HOLLY — Street gangs are on the rise in suburban Burlington
County, according to the prosecutor, who cites three gang-related
homicides in 2006.

"The gang influence is pervasive in the county and doesn't just exist
in three or four urban municipalities,'' Prosecutor Robert D.
Bernardi told the Burlington County Times of Willingboro for
Saturday's newspapers. "People are afraid, and they need to step up.
If people don't, this will continue.''

The county of 450,000 includes inner-ring suburbs of Philadelphia,
newer suburbs, parts of the Pinelands, and agricultural areas where
crops from cranberries to corn are raised.

In 2006, the county has had 12 murders, up from six in 2005.

Three of them involved people with connections to the Bloods street
gang, Bernardi said.

 I think this is a classic example of two people talking past each
> other.  If you look at what he actually said, JK was never saying
> that you should give a killer a basketball.  Per your note below
you
> were never saying that you were against activities.  You were
> reacting to how to treat the specific individual responsible, Jim
> was reacting to a higher-level cause/effect of youth violence.  You
> are really both saying exactly the same thing - and I believe
> personal feelings got in the way of actually listening to what each
> other was saying...
>
> Again, you both seem to agree on things more than you think when
the
> rhetoric dies down.  Wouldn't it be great if you, he, the rest of
> the board, etc.., could sit down and actually find areas of
> commonality rather than letting each others' personality conflicts
> get in the way.  Perhaps we could actually get some things
> accomplished.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> > A very well thought out and written piece you have here Dennis. I
> > agree with 99% of it.
> >
> > I would like to point out that I have never said JK should not
> have
> > a Basketball program.  I just don't think it is an appropriate
> > immediate response to a shooting.  All I've written has stated
> that.
> >
> > I'm working with PAL Boxing in Asbury Park.  For whatever
inherent
> > good it will do, I would not see it as an appropriate response to
> > shooting.  A shooter is a different person than the kid who will
> > play basketball or box.
> >
> > By all means JK, have your Basketball program.  I'll even get in
> > couple of practice games and take JK to the hoop.
> >
> > Sports are inherently good.  Let's not pretend they cure what
ails
> > us though.
> >

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Traderdube <traderdube@> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Tom, You wisely type a response to why this inane argument
> begins
> > > anew..." I don't think it is unreasonable to ponder the size of
> > the problem
> > > we face. In fact, it would be downright negligent to fail to
> > consider
> > > the size."
> > >
> > > And this is cold, uncompromisable truth.
> > >
> > > Anyone who wants to dispute your statement are doing so because
> > they
> > > want to pick a fight.
> > >
> > > What your failing to grasp here is the collective
acknowledgment