Perhaps if the council wasn't handling these 'contract negotiations' between
Marquette and the Partners in private sessions through its 'subcommittee' -
supposedly to avoid violating the Sunshine Law - we wouldn't have to speculate
about the status of the Partners' negotiations with Marquette.
Why isn't anyone else asking why the secrecy?
The reason our lawmakers made contract negotiations an exemption from the
open meetings law was so that the governing body could deliberate its strategy
in
private - so that the other party to the deal wouldn't know the strategy. Can
someone apply that reason to this situation, because it evades me. How does
the city benefit by meeting with the very parties involved in the contract and
leaving ONLY the public out?
Then, of course, the subcommittee reports back to the full governing council
- again in executive or private session. It's another clear violation of the
act.
Nancy, having covered nowhere else but Asbury Park, is apparently at a loss
for a reference point. She must think this is how legitimate government is
conducted.  Not. It's time Nancy and the APP filed their own Sunshine complaint.
Maureen Nevin

Maureen Nevin
Asbury Radio -"The Radio Voice of Asbury Park"
88.1FM - "6" Years on the Air!!
Asbury's Own Live Talk Showmailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
601 Bangs Avenue
Listen 8 - 10 PM Thursdays on 88.1FM or
Listen Live or Later on the Web http://www.asburyradio.com/
Call the show 732-775-0821