--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Frank
>
> First I want to say that your communications commendable.  What I
find the most concerning is that the board is not new.  While I am
really not familiar with the protocol, does the board have a
responsibility to oversee spending and reports to the state?  Is there
a need for the state to investigate or can the board take actions and
investigate on their own?  I am not pointing a direct finger at you
however there seems to be this serious problem the goes on without
accountability.  This district is one of the highest costs per student
and if the wrong number of students has been reported that cost is
even higher.  Sadly the output is poor test scores and ranking.  Does
the board realize there is an issue?  I mean seriously.  It is one
thing to just say but another to believe there is an issue and action
must be taken.  Asbury is at a rebirth stage.  We can have the nicest
buildings all around town but without good schools this town will
suffer.  I am not talking solely real
>  estate values.  I am talking about the people in the town, how they
behave and the goals they set.  You have to agree, for the most part,
a well educated person hold a higher standard.  This needs to be set
in the elementary schools and carried across.  It is time to clean
house.  It seems to me that members of this board are incapable.  Do
what is best for the next generation and step down.  No need to wait a
year or two for the state.
Allan:  I couldn't agree more, also!  You've stated, what I tried to,
without offense!  Thank you for your wise input.  I have to admit,
that I know nothing, of how a school board or the qualifications of
its' members, should be.  What qualifies a person to sit on such an
important segment of our community?  Unless you, yourself are part of
the educating community, have our board members bitten off, more than
they can chew?  My personal opinion is, when test scores are
consistently low, especially where the district is minority/majority,
do we fire the teachers, reward them for ineffectiveness, or wipe the
slate clean, by bringing in the state, to do the job, of ineffectual
teachers?  What about the parents, who send their kids off to school,
unprepared?  What is the boards' responsibility, for what amounts to,
a failing system?  Back in the 80's, those who graduated from the SAME
Asbury Park High School, had to take remedial classes in college,
because, for one, they couldn't read, do simple math, or write term
papers?  I know.  I personally tutored MANY of them!  I am not a
teacher; I am a mentor.  There's no such thing as a color-code in my
personality, as those white kids, I tutored, can attest, to.  I am
just a person, interested in seeing that those raised in my sphere,
get ahead in life.  A hand up, not a handout.