Carolyn first of all let me say I admire your pride regarding your
neighborhood. Hey, didn't someone encourage you to run for council
once or twice? ;-)

I've been told that I often take it too personally when someone says
something I think is off base about AP too, so I know where you are
comming from with that. I'm proudly provinchial.

I will tell you though that I'm in that neighborhood regularly -
almost daily.  I work very close to there. I am looking for a summer
place and I have been deliberately up and down those streets around
there quite regularly this past year.  Nice homes on 1st.

All of that being said, and doing my best to respect your feelings,
that area is not one of the best in AP when it comes to crime. It
isn't the worst, but certainly not the best, which is all I
asserted.

I'm not shooting from the hip here.  I've looked at the crime stats.
I've asked police officers. I've looked at the Meagan's Law stats.

You want the best neighborhood in AP?  It's the North West.  No drug
houses, no houses of ill repute, no Megan's Law violators and very
little crime as compared to the rest of the City.

On a personal note, as to the neighborhood you are defending, the
last time I was burglerized it was by a guy from that neighborhood.
The last time I was approached by a protitute it was in that
neighborhood.

You can lash out at me if you want - I can take it.  That won't
change the facts - particularly that fact that I never got all my
stuff back from the scum that took it; cost me about $18,000.00.
Pardon me if I have a bad taste in my mouth about crime in that
neighborhood, but I think I have the right, unless you think I
should get my stuff taken, lose 18 grand AND shut up about it.

What confused me most about your post is that I've seen you at the
microphone asking for help from the Council with crime in your
neighborhood.  I'm not allowed to talk about it though?  I think the
$18,000.00 I donated against my will gives me the right.

I didn't mean any of this as a personal affront to you. I admire
folks like you who are cleaning up the less than pristine spots.
One house at a time. I'm hoping to join you.

Some people still think you should run for council.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "curtincarolyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> You know Tommy for someone who gets paid to speak on behalf of
others
> I'm continually confused/angered by your blanket statements  ....to
> say our neighborhood is not exactly the safest or any other
negative
> adjectives you might want to use is hurtful to those of us that use
> every free second,dollar and ounce of energy that we have making
it just
> that...safer...Our property values are not crashing ...quite the
> contrary, they are more valuable...TO US. The people who have
> purchased here are people not faint of heart, PEOPLE WHO STAND UP
FOR
> ASBURY!!, people who actually want to make a difference in the
quality
> of life for all here not just people interested in flipping and
making
> a buck...We live here of our own choosing and I for one hope Dan,
> Jackie and the girls are my neighbors for life and don't listen to
> people like you who have probably not walked through our
neighborhood
> in decades.
>
> Carolyn Curtin
> 514 Asbury Ave
>
>   --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> > Dan don't give me, your wife and daughters a heart attack.
Butcher
> > knife.  You really are nutz sometimes. You could have been
bringing
> > a knife to a gun fight.
> >
> > Your's is not exactly the best neighborhood in AP to live in.  I
> > admire you for bettering that neighborhood with your presence,
but I
> > must admit I'm surprised you havn't had more trouble there.
> >
> > For goodness sakes be careful, particularly with your young
ladies.
> > I also admire you for standing your ground but again, be
careful.
> > Supporting AP isn't more important than your family.
> >
> > Any chance of selling there and re-investing on a better
street?
> > Sunset Avenue maybe or the northwest?  Prices are crashing so
maybe
> > now is the time.
> >
> > I'm looking for a summer place there.
> >
> > Maybe we go in on a two family. ;-)
> >

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dfsavgny" <dfsavgny@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Last night after attending First Saturday, I, my wife and two
> > daugthers
> > > went home to our house in AP. Parked on Bond adjacent to my
house.
> > > Three youngs men on the corner talking next to my fence. I
don't
> > > hesitate because I don't sense any immenent danger. As we pass
and
> > > enter our front yard, one of the guys says something, and I
> > finally
> > > here the words "red coat" referring to my youngest daugther,
> > nearly
> > > sixteen. I guess he expected this old man to let it go. He was
> > like a
> > > dog pissing on fence marking HIS territory. I dropped my stuff
and
> > got
> > > in his face and asked what he said. He said I was asking how
old
> > the
> > > one in the red coat was because I think she's attractive. I
said
> > it's
> > > none of your f'king business. I got the girls inside, called
AP
> > police
> > > and grabbed a butcher knife and went back outside after them.
> > guess
> > > my piss smelled worse, they left before I got back out.
Scumbags.