I also agree that people should be willing to park and walk a block
or two.  That said, if we're going to expect people to do that the
city must make absolutely, positively certain that we create a safe
environment that will make people feel comfortable doing that.
Perhaps just as important is that we must create the perception of
saftey.  Given that many people don't feel that AP is safe,
particularly at night, we need to do more than just being safe.  We
need to be extremely visible and very public with what we're doning
to make sure the broader areas around Cookman are always patroled
and always safe to walk.

I suggest that over the summer we hire kids from the high-school,
put them in uniforms and have them serve as walking security from
Lake to Asbury.  Several benefits to that, including giving these
kids something productive to do and a good way to earn some money.
But that visible presence will hopefully reinforce the saftey
necessary to get people back and to get people to feel comfortable
parking and walking.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Hinge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chuck, I wished more people thought like you about parking!
> Nothing at all wrong with walking. It's healthy.
> One of my pet peeves is going to a grocery store and seeing people
trolling around like
> sharks for the closest parking space. I can understand elderly and
disabled people parking
> close to the entrance...but overweight or otherwise healthy people
not being happy about
> having to walk a bit just plain bugs me.
> Oh, as for Cookman...I was referring to Sat. night, which was
amazing on Cookman. It was
> great to see so many people wandering around. I needed to go to
Market in the Middle,
> and I wound going back to my home on 1st ave and walked from there.
>
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, charlie leonard <oceanchuck@>
wrote:

> > i think the downtown has a long LONG way to go before there is a
real parking problem.
> with the steinbach building almost ready to open, there will be
more reasons to park.  but
> i don think any real problems will happen for years.  when i go to
the dubblin house in red
> bank i dont even park on the same street.   you have to walk!
that applys for asbury park