Whatever happened to Asbury Radio?
Well I thought you'd never ask, Allen.
The weekly show was like doing a feature article a week and so took
considerable time from my revenue producing work. For most of the past 6.5
years my freelance work suffered and so did my bank account. Just prior to the
first FCC visit to WYGG, I took an office job. My boss allows me to work four
weekdays and Saturday, affording me one weekday to do my freelancing. It's
working out quite well. The same cannot be said for the show, which hasn't
aired since Nov. 16th.
This letter, below, that I sent to Sen. Menendez on March 20th, will explain
the current status. I recently got a response from Cong. Frank Pallone to a
similar fax I sent him, on Feb. 12th.  He said his office had asked the FCC's
enforcement bureau to look into it. If I don't hear anything by April 8th, I
should give him another call. This isn't satisfactory since the station's
temporary permit expires April 7th. Pallone had no response to that information.
I know you've been critical of my show in the past, Allen, but I would hope
that you and other critics could still appreciate the importance of this threat
to free speech - and no, I still don't know who is behind this.

March 20, 2007

Re. FCC Intervention in WYGG 88.1FM

Dear Senator Menendez:

I have had a radio show, Asbury Radio (previously Restore by the Shore and
Restore Radio), on WYGG 88.1 FM, which would've been on the air 7 years this
June. The station is a low-band, minority owned arrangement that broadcasts
largely in Haitian Creole. (Abner Luima bought and held the license until
recently.)

In mid-November Steven Desena, a field engineer with the FCC based on Varick
St., in NY, claimed to be driving by our studios at 601 Bangs Ave., in Asbury
Park. Mr. Desena gained entrance to the building and examined the antenna
without WYGG present. DeSena phoned the station manager, Jean Guy Henry, and
pretended to be a cable installer who needed the transmitter turned down to
work on the roof. He then summoned Henry  to the roof and brow beat Henry to
try to get him to turn off the transmitter. Eventually, according to Henry,
Desena turned off the transmission himself, which I’m told is a violation of
FCC rules. The station remained off the air from just before Thanksgiving until
February of 2007.

Desena told Henry he’d have to move the station, which he did during January.
The station was relocated to a house owned by and adjacent to the French
Haitian church at 414 Asbury Ave. The FCC granted a temporary permit to allow
the station back up on the air, but that permission expires in early April. The
management gradually reintroduced programming to the station, with the
exception of my show. Henry told me in March that he’s afraid that my show is
the real target of the FCC’s attentions. (Desena visited again at the new
location on Jan. 28th.) This makes three or four visits to a 100-watt station
in roughly two months. Despite this, there is no record on the FCC's web pages
for listing Notices of Apparent Violation.
On a recent visit, Desena reportedly asked specifically about my talk show and,
granted this is second hand, told Henry that it may be the public’s right to
talk about this stuff but they (?) don’t like it.

Desena told Henry that all guests have to sign in, have to be listed prior to
show time as well, with their topics and how long they intend to be on. Is this
really Federal FCC Regulation? I can clearly see where such rules would have a
possibly chilling effect on free speech.

My second question is: Can you find out who or what formed the initial catalyst
for Desena’s visit in November?

By the way, it may mean nothing, but my last show to air over WYGG was about
the awakening potential of voters from Asbury Park’s West Side. Naturally, this
protracted situation has only given fuel to speculation. Other subjects covered
on my show have been random violence against Latino workers, Eminent Domain,
Abolition of the Death Penalty, environmental and tenants' rights, etc.
Again, if you could confirm these FCC requirements; and if you could find out
the reason for the FCC’s spontaneous visit and termination of the signal, I
would be most grateful.

Best regards,
Maureen Nevin, Host - Asbury Radio

March 20, 2007