Gary,

       I don't know.  I don't have the answers, and don't claim to!  I think in
the eyes of the people running the show, they see two way as being more
functional.  Otherwise, i don't think would be any reason for them to change
it.
      Your points about all the cars coming from one direction is true.  It's
easier for people to cross the street when they only have to worry about cars
coming from one way.  Plus, if all the cars are coming from the one way, if one
car stopes to let someone pass, most likely the other cars will stop too.
Unlike with two way, you have to wonder if the cars coming from the other
direction will stop too!

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.