Where was Werner last night?
Werner, you weren't at the council meeting to hear Ed Johnson
actually say, "Werner was right!"
Unfortunately, I didn't catch exactly what he meant that you'd said,
but I believe the reference was to some advice you'd given the
council about the sewer lines by Convention Hall Plaza. Maybe you
could ask Ed to repeat it.
I wrote up some notes from last night's meeting. So they should
appear on AsburyRadio.com pretty soon. Very few people were at the
meeting, not even Nancy of APP, maybe because it was an add-on, to
make up for last week.
In deference to those who have asked that I just report the news and
leave my opinions out, I did so to the best of my ability.
However, now that I'm not writing a news report, I have to say a
touch of sadness hit me when they were discussing the signs - banners
more so I think -- that MM wants to put around the waterfront. This
was during the work session, so we -- the audience -- didn't have the
opportunity to ask MM questions. But, it would really be sad if they
intend to wrap our neglected landmarks in banners, to hide their pock-
marked faces from potential retail and condo consumers lest they be
turned off. Yes, part of me wants to pull a sheet over them and put a
sign saying closed for refurbishing - like Disney does. But, I don't
see serious refurbishing - restoring - going on. Am I missing it? Is
there work being done according to the Secretary of the Interior
standards, as the DEP's historic office mandated? Please someone say
it is! Take a picture and send it into this board.
And as for retail saving the day, I just don't see it. I've always
held that the consumer-driven economy was a product of the baby boom -
 a phenomonon of that era. But Baby Boomers are unloading 'stuff' at
an alarming rate - it's almost a counter-acquisition trend. The times
they are a changin'. One of America's greatest strength's has been
its innovation. Yankee ingenuity. We've got to get back to that core.
BTW, I like the pine trees in the roadbed islands, if they'll stay
dwarfed like the ones along Deal Lake. They just seem kind of Carmel,
CA-ish. I know, Werner, they'll block the breeze and Bradley wouldn't
have had them...
Happy Memorial Day everybody!
Maureen

>  The concept is great, it is the root and foundation of Asbury
Park.