Last night I was reading the many comments posted on the APP website
relating to the article about MM.
The overall feeling I get, besides the fact that people out there are
still afraid of AP, is that public opinion is that AP is making a huge
mistake by putting it's desire to redevelop over solving it's social
problems and solving the problems with it's school system.
Also, it was stated a few times that AP must be crazy to try and
attract new affluent resident/commuters who are seeking an alternative
place to live rather then a Hoboken or Jersey City.
They also posed the question of why would somebody consider spending
half a million dollars on a property in AP where they could live in
other safer and more attractive places.
There was also discussion about why AP redevelopment will fail using
examples such as Camden and Atlantic City, where the redevelopment has
failed to do anything but bring improvements to small parts of those
cities.
In my opinion, the "problems" with AP take place in a relatively small
part of the city. A majority of the city is beautiful with lovely
residential areas, yet a small part of the city (the west side) is
continuing to drive peoples fears and doubts about the city.
What is it going to take to finally put these fears and doubts to rest?
I honestly don't think that the oceanfront redevelopment alone is
going to do it.
Has AP not been dragging it's feet for decades on solving our social
problems?
And what about the school system? It's a mess and somehow the city
can't seem to solve that problem either, and that problem is going to
prevent people from moving here.
So my question is this...how can the AP administration have been
broken for so many years without any effective fix coming along.
Other cities can do it, but AP just can't seem to get it together, and
it seems like there is a general apathy in effect here.
Why?