True, but we pretty much have a blank slate  here at the moment. Coney Island
redevelopers are now beginning to take a hard look at how their beach front
area is best
used, and I think they have it right. AP could learn from this kind of thinking.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes but you have to remember that amusements have always remained in Coney
> Island.
As for Asbury, they died.

Silberstein
> said, noting more amusements would be included in a revised version of the
> 22-acre
plan.
> The controversial $2 billion project - which had come under fire from city
> officials and
> residents, because, they said, it would destroy Coney Island's character by
> including
> waterfront housing - had originally earmarked 950,000 square feet for
> residential
space.
> Now, the plan will have no residential component and no 50-story tower on
> Stillwell
Ave.,
> as had been proposed, Silberstein said.
> "It's significantly smaller," Silberstein said of the overall project. He
> refused to divulge
> specifics of a revised plan or to say how Thor would profit without the sale
> of luxury
> condos.
> Carol Hill Albert, who in November sold the legendary Astroland amusement
> park to
Thor,
> sighed in relief when told about the project's hairpin turn.
> "Nobody has ever thought it was a good idea to have condos south of Surf
> Ave.," said
> Albert, who hopes to relocate her 45-year-old family-owned amusement park
elsewhere
> along the Coney Island waterfront. "It's all beachfront."
> Coney Island USA founder Dick Zigun agreed.
> "This is the big break we've all been waiting for," said Zigun, the
> unofficial mayor of
Coney
> Island. "We're not against development. Thor just needed to accept the fact
> that at the
core
> area, it should be tourism and entertainment. "

> Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
> Yahoo!
Answers - Check it out.