August 23, 2007 Edition

Reading the Market in Turbulent Times

BY MICHAEL STOLER
August 23, 2007

One might compare the turbulent state of the residential real estate
market to Coney Island's Cyclone, and bullish and bearing industry
leaders are split on just how the tightening of the credit markets —
for both new developments and for consumer residential mortgages —
will affect the last four months of 2007.

The senior managing director of Beck Street Capital, Kevin Comer, said
he expects a worsening of the residential market. "The impact of the
credit crunch will roll in waves through the country in coming months,
and has begun to impact many marginal projects throughout the region,"
he said. "Over the last two weeks, we've been presented with several
very high profile condominium projects either from the sponsors or the
lenders, both looking to bail out of projects where sales have been
slow to nonexistent."

Mr. Comer said that if a condo project has been on the market without
closing on any units, it will likely become a rental. "In most
instances, this is a cut in value of at least half," he said. "It will
take time for the sponsors to realize that their equity in these
projects has in fact evaporated, and time for lenders to face the
harsh reality that neither of the options of taking back a property or
writing down loan values is very attractive.

"We hear every day that lenders across the country are at best
renegotiating loan terms at the closing table and, at worst, simply
walking on firm commitments. If a lender isn't a portfolio lender,
right now they aren't lending, at least not at terms that make
economic sense. Equity is the name of the game," Mr. Comer said. "This
is now the third collapse of the debt industry that I've seen in my
career and I can't find any reason to believe that this one will be
any different than the others. This time, mortgage REITs, subprime
lenders, and the CMBS market stepped up to cause the problems. In the
'80s the credit collapse resulted in the creation of the Resolution
Trust Corp., took Chase down to $3 per share, and wiped clean the
Savings and Loan industry. It also created the best buying opportunity
of a lifetime."

Federal Housing Administration loans are becoming increasingly popular
in these turbulent times of mortgage financing. The FHA was created in
1934 as an effort to bolster homes sales during the Depression. By
financially guaranteeing loans the FHS lifts much of the risk of
nonpayment and foreclosure from private lenders. It is important to
remember that FHA is not a lender; it just guarantees an individual's
mortgage loan.

"Applications are way up for FHA lending, which is booming," the
president of First Alternative Mortgage Corp., Peter Cohen, said. "I
have seen a 60% increase in applications and 100% increase in
pre-qualification requests. I am getting calls from brokers who have
nowhere to send their loan request and they are now inquiring about
FHA loans. This type of lending is a full documentation loan with
allows a purchase a very high loan to value of 97.75% of the purchase
price. An extraordinary amount of the applications are for refinancing
where borrowers are faced with large increases in monthly payments
from adjustable mortgages and fearing they will fall behind on
payments. But the FHA to the rescue is the battle cry for the
qualified borrower."

According to the president and chief executive officer of Manhattan
Mortgage, Melissa Cohn, the good news "is that there are still plenty
of banks that are lending at competitive rates. We are in a bifurcated
lending environment with the portfolio lenders still going strong and
lending at competitive rates that have not risen with the secondary
market shut down. There are, however, banks, those that rely upon the
secondary market, who have made sweeping guideline changes and have
raised rates significantly. Now more than ever is the time to shop
carefully if you are a qualified buyer."

Developers and real estate brokers have varied opinions on the state
of sales of condominiums this summer, and especially during August.

"I cannot say the recent capital market changes have had any effect on
our for-sale housing investments — yet," the president of the City
Investment Fund, Thomas Lydon, said. "In many cases, contracts have
been signed 12 months in advance of delivery so that the purchasers
have not applied for a mortgage as of yet. These contracts have
deposits in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, so the interest
rates would have to be substantially higher than today's rates to
cause a purchaser to walk away from a deposit or fail to qualify for a
loan. All this being said, if rates on home mortgages stay high for an
extended period of time — six months — and the qualification standards
tighten further, it has to affect price at all levels of the marketplace."

Mr. Lydon said the psychology of the marketplace is also a key factor.
"Any uncertainty causes indecision," he said. "Home buying is a very
emotional decision for most people. That emotion has been all positive
in the past five years, with a few short blips. That would be my
biggest concern. Nevertheless, I suggest that you listen to the talk
at the cocktail parties after Labor Day to get an indication of sales
of residential homes."

The president of one of the city's most prominent real estate
developers, who asked not to be identified, said he has not seen any
slowdown in sales of condominium units at this point in the cycle. "I
do believe that if the credit crisis continues and spreads for
mortgages remain high, that, coupled with the higher real estate taxes
from 421-a change, will cause a corresponding decrease in pricing," he
said.

The managing director for developments at Prudential Douglas Elliman,
Andrew Gerringer, said, "No-income verification loans and
no-documentation loans are a thing of the past; only credit-worthy
purchasers will be financed today. Smaller banks such as Hudson City
Savings, Sovereign, and Astoria Federal have financing available at
6.5% to 7% rates for credit-worthy borrowers."

Mr. Gerringer added: "People tend to come in and have a budget in mind
when they visit sales offices and may be realistic or not of the cost
of purchasing a unit. Sometimes when a buyer contract goes out to
their attorneys and they find out how much the closing cost is, they
and in shock are the deals don't happen. Any increases due to a change
in the 421-a abatement expiration or a rise in interest rates will
absolutely have an effect on what they can or cannot buy."

The director of special projects at Prudential Douglas Elliman,
Christopher De Weaver, said he "was on the phone today with one of our
top agents in our Upper East Side office who just lost a $2 million
sale because of the `changing rules of the game.' His buyer is very
well qualified but is now going to sit it out on the sidelines until
the underwriting becomes less arbitrary for jumbo loans. The buyer
felt that they did everything right but they will not come back for a
second attempt until the criteria is more clear and consistent." The
president of the Athena Group LLC, Louis Dubin, said sales velocity in
August can't really be gauged "because it is traditionally the slowest
month of the year. The fallout in this mortgage mess is how many
buyers locked their mortgages before their apartments were ready to
close or have been completed. September will be a most interesting
month." The president of Alchemy Partners, Kenneth Horn, said, "During
the course of the last 10 days, we have sold more than eight units in
our developments in Brooklyn and Manhattan. All prices are selling at
the asking prices and we are very encouraged at the pace of sales at
this time, especially in the month of August. Whether this will
continue is unknown."

The president of Buttonwood Real Estate, Andrew Heiberger, who is
presently selling units in the condominium conversion at 88 Greenwich
St., said, "Sales are smooth and steady, with an average price of
$1,125 a square foot. To date we have exactly 200 sales and closings
have begun, with no cancellations or defaults."

He added: "I am happy that this correction is finally happening. In
the not so long run, it will be much better for the New York City real
estate marketplace. I actually think that moderately priced apartments
will go up in price, and the luxury markets — units priced at $1,500
to $2,000 per square foot — will suffer because it is these units that
have been surviving on buyers from the hedge fund and credit markets
and investment bankers."

The chief operating officer at Citi Habitats, Gary Malin, said,
"Clearly, there are issues in the overall market but at this time, it
has not truly hit our residential market. Some of the reasons are that
cooperative apartments provide an extra layer of scrutiny given the
mortgage limits and reserves required, and also in the broader sense
given the prices of apartments in the city, our buyer is different to
a degree than other markets. Things could always change but that is
the pulse now." The president of Bellmarc, Neil Binder, said prices
for mortgages "are not materially higher as a result of the subprime
mortgage meltdown. However, what is going to suffer are investors and
foreigners who have a high preference for unconventional lending
programs and non-income verified loans. These loans are going to be
much harder to find. The impact therefore will be primarily in new
construction where developers are ready to take any buyer regardless
of their financing risk." A number of planned condominium developments
scheduled to begin construction in the fall have been postponed or put
on hold. In Midtown, a major residential condominium development
planned for Fifth Avenue will likely be postponed until the developer
can obtain adequate financing for the project. In Long Island City, a
prominent developer who was planning to develop a reasonably priced
condominium development convenient to the subway with units selling
for $650 to $700 a square foot was advised last week that the lender
who had expressed an interest to provide financing decided to cut off
any new financing for new condominium developments in the five boroughs.

In the Rockaway section of Queens, a developer who was ready to begin
construction of a development of three-family homes and condominium
units has postponed construction due to the uncertainty that
purchasers can obtain mortgage financing.

Now that I have various opinions from leaders, one big question
remains: Where is the market at the end of the year? As one prominent
hedge fund executive asked me: "Do you have any read yet on Wall
Street bonuses? Until the LBO market had an infarction, this was
shaping up to be the best year ever. Now I heard this weekend that a
major law firm was rethinking — reducing — its space need. Oy!"

Another major owner of real estate said: "As I explained it to my
colleagues, it all depends upon selling of big cigars at the end of
the year. If the big cats cannot afford stogies, then they cannot buy
a condo."

Nevertheless, I think Norman Sturner, the principal of Murray Hill
Properties, sums up the current state of the real estate market when
he says, "The more pessimism that is printed in the media, the more
that I am convinced that this is the right time to be in the market."

    Mr. Stoler, a contributing editor to The New York Sun, is a
television and radio broadcaster and a senior principal at a real
estate investment fund. He can be reached at