In a message dated 9/3/2007  10:20:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  writes:

"However" or  "on the other hand" sound to me like I would be sayihng
something  contrary.
Perhads, "additionally" or "not only  that?"

Perhaps.  Let's see.

My gist was:
The simple display of "God Bless..." or the Flag on your sleeve, SUV,  or
home doesn't really amount to "support" for our military.  Without  shared
sacrifice, it's tokenism and show biz.  Only military personnel and  their
families
are sacrificing in this war.

Your point:

To the troop himself I imagine it means a  great deal.  To go into battle, to
kill and risk being killed, I think I  would want to feel a closeness with
God. I would want to be sure in my cause  being just, to be able to reconcile
the killing with my religeous  belief.
Forget the perhaps.  I'll stick with "however" or "on the other hand."

E.g.

Without any real sacrifice, the  average citizen's "God Bless Our Troops" and
patriotism rings hollow;  however, a spiritual closeness duty must mean a
great deal  to a man or woman in combat.

or

The average citizen's trappings of  patriotism and religion, without shared
sacrifice for the war, ring hollow; on  the other hand, a sense of spirituality
and/or patriotic duty must mean a great  deal to many men and women in actual
combat.

If Werner were posting, he would  have said a while back,

"That's all very interesting;  however, let's bring the focus back to Asbury
Park."

His points would not exactly  be "contrary"; but "additionally" or "not only
that" don't work.

Nevertheless,

Cordiali  saluti