I think it comes from the time when this country was first founded.
Bible toting people formed the Nation Under God.

So if you take the purest form of the attributes of an American
conservative, as being one who stays the course and does not move
quickly to change, than it makes perfect sense to me that those that
have held on to the founding father's faith declaration of this new
country would predominantly be conservatives.

But I find it rather odd that people equate God and religion.  I for
one never thought it was God who wanted a religious form of
fellowship, but rather a fellowship in personal relationship between
God and believer.

I as a minister, do not foster religiosity.  I promote individual
relationship.  I find the symbols and high church attributes
culturally beneficial, but does little to cause a soul to desire the
relationship.

Also religious organization does more to hinder unity among those
that believe, by creating differing tribes.  Unity is really what
accomplishes goals.  Mankind has sold itself short over the entire
history of it's existence solely because we have splintered into
different races, nations, cultures and so forth.

Diversity does not have to divisive.