Don't forget that for years malls were the coolest thing, but plenty of towns are moving back to the downtown approach now. There are many malls around the country that are closing or becoming different than they once were (see Seaview Square as a local example).

The idea of things like Pier Village may be destination bound, but it also could be a fad like the malls were.

And as far as people leaving New Jersey, I wonder if that takes account for all of the immigrants moving into the state because it just might balance things out. After a short trip back to Virginia, I can say that from VA to NJ everything is starting to look the same. There are chain restaurants, mini-outdoor malls, and everything wherever you go. New Jersey is not the only place losing an identity. The major chains are on a mission to remove local identity from the country and they are largely succeeding.

So, why are these people leaving to? I'd say for lower mortgages. Outside our borders doesn't really offer more or look different than Jersey - just may be a little cheaper, that's all.