When I first  started teaching, teenagers who were known as, or called,
"fags" or  "gay" often were prone to depression and even suicide.

Thankfully, that kind of harassment is now  illegal in schools and the
workplace; and the mainstream culture has also  come a long way in that regard.

But the expression, "Never Again" has not taken  full effect as yet

Those tactics are still being used, in this  country, by adults not by school
kids;
e.g., the web site GodHatesFags.com developed by a  "christian" denomination.

Gay men and women, especially teenagers, still  commit suicide at
extraordinary rates in comparison to other groups' moreover,  the misguided
Ex-Gay
ministries aggravate the potential for hate  crimes.

Adults trying to hide who they are often  become tabloid news stories because
of their hypocrisy: ruined marriages,  political careers turned into jokes on
late night TV, expulsion of desperately  needed linguists and others from the
military, et al.

Some of us were fortunate to have established a  level of professionalism and
integrity before our private lives became  well-known.
Those who study such things say we overcompensated  so that we could overcome
our worst fears of homophobia.   Maybe.

But we discovered, and were lucky, that the  majority of rational people,
people who were neither dogmatic,  fundamentalist, nor opinionated, easily
dismissed sexual orientation as  irrelevant, especially among consenting adults.

"The Laramie Project" is a dramatic representation of what happens when
people with  some notion that "God Hates Fags!" ask, with malicious intent,
"Are
you  gay?"

"The Laramie Project" will be performed at the  Paramount Theatre on November
16 and 17.

"THESE SPECIAL PERFORMANCES WILL BENEFIT THE  MATTHEW SHEPARD FOUNDATION, THE
TECTONIC THEATER PROJECT AND THE CENTER IN  ASBURY PARK."
_http://www.westparkplayers.com/1.html_
(http://www.westparkplayers.com/1.html)

Ticket are available at Madison Marquette's  offices on Ocean Avenue.

I have reserved several tickets.

If KB would like to end these threads on this  board, let his last be a
request to see "The Laramie Project."

I will leave a complimentary ticket at the box  office for him.

I did not raise this topic here, but I will not  let it go unanswered.

Never again!