You wanna see open space, drive west on route 70 from Lakewood to
route 206.  They want to keep these acres free from development at
the cost of increasing urban development.  Long Branch and Asbury
will be built out before Newark, Trenton & Jersey City at the rate
development is going.  Question three will facilitate this agenda!
Vote No on all questions.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, kerry butch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> PRESS RELEASE
>
>   For Immediate Release:
>
>   Contact:
>       October 18, 2007
>     Jeff Tittel, Sierra Club, 609-558-9100
>   Dave Pringle, NJ Environment Federation, 732-996-4288
>   Joanna Wolaver, NJ Audubon Society, 609-712-3622
>   Alison Mitchell, NJ Conservation Foundation, 908-234-1225
>   Ed Wengryn, NJ Farm Bureau, 609-393-7163
>
>   Open Space Advocates Expose Falsehoods about Question #3,
>   Condemn Bogota Mayor Steve Lonegan's Radio Ads
>
>   Trenton , NJ - The passage of Ballot Question #3 is the most
important issue facing the voters in this year's election.  Without
Question #3, we will run out of money to preserve open space,
farmland and historic properties, build new parks and playgrounds for
our children, and voluntarily buy out flood-prone properties.
Despite the important of this issue for the future of New Jersey ,
there are those who will distort, and even lie, about this ballot
question.  We are all here today to set the record straight on Ballot
Question #3 and what it means for New Jersey .

>   The Keep It Green coalition has learned that Bogota , New
Jersey , Mayor Steve Lonegan and "Americans for Prosperity" are
campaigning against question #3, the $200 million open space,
farmland and historic preservation question on this November's
ballot.

>   "Halloween has come early.  Steve Lonegan is trying to trick the
voters with deliberate lies and falsehoods," said Jeff Tittel,
Director of the New Jersey Sierra Club.  "The only thing that's
scarier than Steve Lonegan's lies is New Jersey losing its open space
and farmland programs."

>   The advocates released a fact sheet (attached) exposing and
debunking the myths and untruths Lonegan has been spreading about
question #3 including that it will increase taxes, bring high density
housing to New Jersey towns, and force homeowners to lose their
property to eminent domain. In fact, a yes vote on #3 will prevent
overdevelopment, save our threatened open spaces and farmland, and
create playgrounds, green spaces and urban parks for our children. It
in no way will authorize the use of eminent domain by the state
taxes – on the contrary, the state legislature has specifically
prohibited use of funds that will be made available from the approval
of question # 3 for eminent domain by the state.

>   "The GSPT has been recognized as not only the largest land
preservation program in the nation but also the most successful,"
said Assemblyman John F. McKeon, a primary bill sponsor.  "Supporting
Ballot question #3 will ensure that New Jersey 's land preservation
efforts will continue uninterrupted. The Blue Acres component allows
willing sellers to voluntarily sell their properties for permanent
preservation while avoiding future insurance costs and economic
hardships. Anyone claiming the contrary is irresponsible and typical
of the extreme right wing antics."

>   "Lonegan's ads and statements are uninformed at best and
knowingly false at worst," said David Pringle of the NJ Environmental
Federation. "While that might work in a state less educated, less
environmental conscious, and filled with more ideological zealots
than New Jersey, someone positioning himself to run for Governor
should know better, but perhaps his thoughts are elsewhere."

>   "To say a yes vote on question #3 is a vote for eminent domain is
nothing more than a cheap scare tactic. The history of the state
preservation programs demonstrates that the state as the buyer is
providing fair value to willing sellers. The passage of public
question #3 will ensure that those market-based and fair transactions
can continue," said Ed Wengryn of New Jersey Farm Bureau.

>   "We've already seen the tremendous benefits these preservation
programs bring to New Jersey 's environment and its people, including
tax stabilization. So we don't need to worry about what will happen
if we pass Question # 3 - we need to worry about what will happen if
we don't," said Alison Mitchell of New Jersey Conservation
Foundation.

>   " New Jersey loses over 40 acres each day to development making
our remaining open spaces a precious asset. We must protect and
preserve our remaining natural and historic resources to insure
future generations can enjoy a high quality of life. I am confident
that voters will overwhelmingly approve this question, just as they
have approved similar measures dating back to 1961," said State
Senator Leonard Lance.

>   "Ballot question #3 is critical to providing much needed funding
to the Garden State Preservation Trust, which helps to preserve our
farms, open space, and historic landmarks," said Assemblyman Douglas
H. Fisher. "I ask the voters of New Jersey to vote yes on Ballot
questions #3 to keep this highly successful programs running to
ensure our land and history are permanently preserved."

>   "A yes vote on Ballot Question 3 is a clear no-brainer," said
Doug O'Malley, Environment New Jersey 's Field Director. "The more
people know that Ballot Question #3 will protect open space, the more
support it gets."

>   "A yes vote is an investment in the future of New Jersey . By
voting yes on Ballot Question #3 on November 6th, New Jersey voters
will protect the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the open
space, farmland, and historic sites we cherish," said Joanna Wolaver
of New Jersey Audubon Society.

>   The Keep It Green Campaign is a coalition of over 90
organizations from throughout the state calling for passage for
question #3 in November and f a larger annual, more permanent source
of funding for open space, historic and farmland preservation,
operations, and improvements during this year's lame duck legislative
session. For more information on the campaign, visit
www.NJKeepItGreen.org.

>   ###
>

>   Fact and Fiction about Public Question #3
>
>   1. Fiction: Question #3 sells bonds for money to take property
from homeowners and small businesses for "open space" through Eminent
Domain and will force homeowners near rivers and streams to give up
their land to Eminent Domain. (Source:
http://americansforprosperity.org/index.php?id=4004 and the
advertisement on http://taxpayerminute.com/Taxpayer%20Minute%2026.mp3)

>   Fact: A Yes Vote on #3 will fund the purchase of flood prone
properties by the state from willing sellers only and explicitly
prohibits the use of eminent domain to do so. In fact, Assembly Bill
4402, which placed question #3 on the ballot, states the
following: "The State shall not utilize the power of eminent domain
in any manner to acquire lands utilizing funds made available
pursuant to the Blue Acres bond program; such lands shall be acquired
only from willing sellers." In addition, question #3 follows the
provisions of the Garden State Preservation Trust, PL 1999 Chapter
152, which prohibits the use of eminent domain in state land
acquisition.

>   New Jersey has experienced three catastrophic floods within the
past two years, injuring people and destroying homes and property.
As a result, there are many property owners who would like to sell
their flood-prone properties to get out of harm's way.  By purchasing
this land through the Blue Acres program, the State will not only
protects these property owners, but also property owners downstream
by providing safe areas for floodwaters to dissipate. In addition,
the land purchased will provide green spaces and parkland for the
enjoyment of nearby residents.

>   2. Fiction: Passage of question #3 will replace the construction
of one family houses with high rise, high density housing and force
urbanization on suburban towns. (Source: advertisement on
http://taxpayerminute.com/Taxpayer%20Minute%2026.mp3)

>   Fact: A Yes Vote on #3 will help prevent overdevelopment and save
our threatened open spaces. New Jersey loses over 40 acres of open
space a day to development. By authorizing the state to issue $200
million in general obligation bonds, the Bond Act would provide much-
needed funds to keep New Jersey 's open space, farmland and historic
preservation programs afloat for one more year.

>   Since 1998 these programs have enabled the State, local
governments and non-profits to acquire over 327,000 acres of parks
and open space, numerous historic sites, and over 160,000 acres of
farmland in communities across the state. Preserving open space and
farmland protects existing rural and suburban homes and prevents the
overdevelopment of these areas by halting sprawl. Passage of #3 will
also finance the purchase and improvement of parks, green spaces and
playgrounds in existing urban areas, enhancing the quality of life
for residents.

>   3. Fiction: Passage of Public Question #3 will increase your
taxes. (Source: advertisement on http://taxpayerminute.com/Taxpayer%
20Minute%2026.mp3)

>   Fact: A yes vote on #3 will not impose any new taxes and can be
paid for with existing revenue, and in fact, a yes vote will help
stabilize local property taxes. The Bond Act allows the State
Treasurer to issue bonds, which must be paid back within the next 30
years from existing revenue sources.  Bonding, a common method for
funding land acquisition and capital improvements, is the most
logical and successful way to fund preservation because it takes
advantage of current market values by purchasing land now instead of
waiting until it is too expensive or already lost to development. New
Jersey voters have approved 11 bond measures since 1961 dedicating
funds for preservation efforts.

>   Furthermore, New Jersey loses over 40 acres of open space to
develop each day, resulting in increased property taxes as
municipalities fund new schools, roads and public infrastructure to
support this development. According to a recent report by the
Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissions, studies show
that for every $1.00 collected in taxes, residential development
costs between $1.04 and $1.67 in services. These costs are ongoing
and generally increase over time. The acquisition of open space, on
the other hand, requires fewer services and costs taxpayers far less
over the long term. These areas quickly pay for themselves, providing
ongoing savings and substantial environmental and economic benefits
to the community, such drinking water protection, public recreation
opportunities, critical wildlife habitat and job creation through
ecotourism.

>   In addition, passage of Question #3 will provide matching funds
for the dedicated property taxes collected annually by all 21
counties and over 225 municipalities for open space preservation.
With this match from the state, towns can spend less local money to
purchase open space and develop parks, saving taxpayer dollars.

>   For more information, please visit the New Jersey – Keep It Green
Campaign website at www.NJKeepItGreen.org or contact Joanna Wolaver
at New Jersey Audubon Society at 609-392-1181 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]