Yes Sharon, I'm very serious. I don't know the mayor personally, but I do
intend to get to
know him. I'm going to try and arrange a meeting with him this week.
When you say "It sometimes appears that he is not outspoken, but he fervently
works
behind the scenes" that says much to me. We need an outspoken mayor. We need
him on
the news, we need him to be publicly visible. There has been too much behind
the scenes
action in our city. Outside opinion of AP is currently at an all time low.
People outside of
this city have very little that is good to say about it, and the public at
large doesn't have
much faith in our cities administration. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected, but
this is my
opinion.
When we have a police office saying to me that we don't have enough officers,
we have a
problem.
And here's a few other opinions of mine;
1) I saw police officers patroling on Cookman and Main last night, near the
restaraunts.
Great, right? Well, who are they protecting? I'd like to know if an equal force
was out in the
parts of the city where the majority of crime is taking place.
2) Somehow our city finds the money to give Mayor's Balls, fund a Columbus Day
event
and buy a scant 2 horses and equip 2 police officers to ride them. How much did
that cost?
And where are they patroling? In the areas where people can see them. It's a
show.
Meanwhile, we had a murder the other night. Please connect the dots.
3) Is somebody instructing the Asbury Park Press to be silent about crime in
our city?
If not, why isn't the story of the 19 year olds murder front page news yet?
What about the 8 bullets shot at kids last week?
That story came and went like an afterthought.
Does anybody else see a problem with this?
I think the time has come for much more publicity about the horrible stuff that
is going on
in our city. This will force out administration to act.
Finally, i've said this once, and I'll repeat it a thousand times until it
makes a differerence...
All the redevelopment in the world isn't going to make a bit of difference for
our future
until this city is perceived to be a safe place to move to and live in.