In a message dated 10/22/2007 1:33:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: Don't tempt me. My mother makes the best
brisket (leave the grease) and chicken soup (the fat makes it). I make
the best potato
pancakes... Jackie Mason had a great routine in one of his shows: The
only people who look worse than runners are people who work in health
food stores.  Go into a Jewish deli, they're all hale and hearty...
(something like that).   ''Without fat, a pastrami sandwich is a
worthless commodity. It must be very thinly sliced. It has to have a lot
more meat than a roast beef or a steak sandwich. It must be very fresh
rye bread with crisp crusts and caraway seeds and dark mustard, not that
yellow mustard. Yellow mustard is definitely a loser....When gentiles
eat a correct pastrami sandwich, they become like Jews. They start out
eating it with mayonnaise, and two months later when they see someone
else eating it that way, they say, 'Yech.' ''  Actually there could be
some interest down the road in a real kosher or j. style deli. Why down
the road?  That long NYT magazine article is about a guy clever enough
to sense that now's the right time. I'd say here too.  Even in difficult
economic times, there's always a demand for good basic peasant food --
maybe more so during periods of economic anxiety.     Entrepreneurs line
up:     AP needs Sonny's soul food back, an authentic German restaurant,
at least two Jewish delis (So we can enjoy their kvetchin' about the
competition), and an Italian market (enough good Italian restaurants
here) but not owned by partnered Italian brothers (They also fight and
split up).