In a message dated 10/25/2007 5:26:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I haven't been mugged or victim of a violent crime myself (been coming to
Asbury since '76 or so)

Not have I (since '66).  But I know how important perception  is for our
business community.  I still remember, back in the 70's,  outsiders talking
about
being afraid of Asbury Park because "they" hide up in  the trees and jump down
to mug you when you're leaving the clubs late at  night.  Such bs  still
abounds, but it doesn't obviate the need to  tackle the problems we really do
have.

but I have had the pleasant experience of having several bottles thrown  at
my car by a group of kids on a street corner one night within the last two
years.

Here just the unpleasant experience of being approached when  stopped at red
lights along Grand Ave.  I just wave 'em off with no  problem.  But the
"bridge and tunnel" folks who were approached and  frightened by the squeegee
guys
in NYC eventually brought the business  community there to insist that that
nuisance be stopped.  Without the  hope for a thriving business community here,
all the talk here is for  naught.

Other than that just the normal stuff of being asked for money by a lot  of
different panhandlers.  That gets annoying after a while and  considering most
of us see the same people doing it day in and day out, it  does make me wonder
why they're allowed to keep doing it in  AP.

You get to know the regulars; over the years many became accepted  by locals.
Used to be some long time street people here, all actual  natives, who were
truly helpless and watched over by the community.  But the uptick in new
panhandlers became quite obvious since JSRM  came on the scene.

I don't think the posters are wrong to want Asbury Park to be a better or
cleaner place.

I know it's not wrong.  Pride in community.   Improvements, hopefully to
benefit all.

And the following comment is so off the wall, it doesn't deserve  comment.

In a message dated 10/25/2007 6:07:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,