" Maybe you could extend them some kind
> of olive branch in order to help them become more friendly. "

I hear ya'.  I never found being belligerent to be productive.

But this is the second time they've come into our yard without
permission.
We talked with them about it the first time but perhaps they took
politeness as a form of weakness?  I've had this happen to me before.
 You "do unto others" and set an example of cordial behavior and if
the other person is a self serving bully they just see it as a green
light for more aggression.

The first time someone from D&L strolled into our yard it was at the
beginning of the summer. My husband was sitting at the picnic table
having a cup of coffee and a tattooed, Italian guy twice my husband
size, carrying a crowbar, came walking up the little walkway between
the houses into our little yard blocking the exit, trapping him.
"Don't freak out.", he says.

My husband practically sprayed coffee.  "What do mean, Don't freak out!"

My husband went over to talk to them about it but I guess he was too
polite or something...anyway, they didn't take the message to heart.

So the police did the job for us and they advised us not to speak with
them again.

When the police get involved with "feuding neighbors" they only see
what happens when the tension escalates.  They never see it when
people resolve anything on their own through talking.  It's kind of
like...you don't ask an emergency room nurse which kind of motorcycle
she likes best.

I'm writing a letter to Don Sammett (thanks to advice given me on this
list) and I'll post it first before sending it in the hopes of getting
more advice and feedback.

On, on,
Linda