To all my Christian friends, Merry Christmas.
=============================== To all, a reminder of an American ideal
in the unifying words of JFK:
While the so-called religious issue is necessarily and properly the
chief topic here tonight, I want to emphasize from the outset that we
have far more critical issues to face…: those who no longer respect
our power--the hungry children I saw in West Virginia, the old people
who cannot pay their doctor bills, the families forced to give up their
farms--an America with too many slums, with too few schools…. These
are the real issues….   And they are not religious issues--for war
and hunger and ignorance and despair know no religious barriers.    I
believe in an America where…no church or church school is granted
any public funds or political preference….   Finally, I believe in
an America where religious intolerance will someday end--where all men
and all churches are treated as equal--where every man has the same
right to attend or not attend the church of his choice--where there is
no Catholic vote, no anti-Catholic vote, no bloc voting of any kind--and
where Catholics, Protestants and Jews, at both the lay and pastoral
level, will refrain from those attitudes of disdain and division which
have so often marred their works in the past, and promote instead the
American ideal of brotherhood.    This is the kind of America I believe
in--and this is the kind I fought for in the South Pacific, and the kind
my brother died for in Europe. No one suggested then that we may have a
"divided loyalty," that we did "not believe in liberty," or that we
belonged to a disloyal group that threatened the "freedoms for which our
forefathers died."    I ask you tonight to follow in that
tradition….   The statement of the American Bishops in 1948 which
strongly endorsed church-state separation, and which more nearly
reflects the views of almost every American Catholic.    Adapted from
JFK's  September 12, 1960 address to the Greater Houston Ministerial
Association
=============================================================== In a
message dated 12/21/2007 8:35:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: To
All My Democrat Friends:

Please accept with
no obligation, implied or express, my best wishes for an
environmentally
conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-
neutral
celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the
most enjoyable
traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular
practices of
your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion