Some things require government involvement for the common good.  The
sorry state of the Chinese environment is an example of what happens
when the government does little to nothing to protect its own
environment.  They are even talking about closing all the factories
in Bejing just to try and clear the air for the Olympics.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Jersey Shore John
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The reason is the innate and congenital fear of business
regulation.
> We've seen with the toys with posionous lead distributed by
American
> [...]
> >
> > And in a classic example of hypocrasy, despite being the party
> > of "states rights" the Bush adminstration overrules states rights
> > prevent California and 16 other states from implementing their own
> > emmissions standards. Similar to legalizing medicial marajuana
and a
> > host of other issues - the republicans rail on about states rights
> > unless states don't agree with the republican position, at which
> > point it is more important to mandate the solution federally.
> >
> > These issues are much of the reason why the republican party is in
> > such disarray (and don't deny that Tom, even prominent republicans
> > say it is). There is no longer any real philosophy and belief, and
> > no evaluation of issues based on merit. Just arguments and
arrogance.

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <hinge98@> wrote:
> > >
> > > That's the same kinda BS that happened when a previously
unheard of
> > organization
> > > posted info about Al Gore living in a mansion that consumed high
> > amounts of resources.
> > > Nobody checked the source of the report, yet it still made the
> > rounds, in fact the report
> > > was one of the things that placed the term "carbon footprint"
into
> > the vocabulary of
> > > people who'd never even heard the term.
> > > It turned out that Gore's home is a great example of taking an
> > energy hungry old building
> > > and turn it into a great example of renovation. All of his power
> > comes from green sources.
> > > But unfortunately, in our culture of fast news from less then
> > reliable sources, people
> > > believe whatever they see on TV or the internet. Some refer to
> > people like this as "sheep".
> > > For me, i'd rather consider the possibility that there may be a
> > problem, and prepare for it
> > > accordingly. What's the downside? A cleaner environment, less
waste
> > and a healthier
> > > world. How can people complain about that? The only people who
> > probably can complain
> > > are companies like Exxon. I say screw Exxon. They've made absurd
> > amounts of money.
> > > I'm also fed up with this subject being debated on political
terms.
> > The truth is, most of the
> > > rest of the world is already doing things to improve the
> > environment. Germany and
> > > Holland are global leaders in this effort, and they could care
less
> > about dems and
> > > republicans. I'd rather follow the rest of the worlds lead and
> > actively speak out against our
> > > countries inaction rather then be one of the sheep.
> > > I'd love to hear somebody like Tommy convince me that changes
made
> > because of the
> > > possibility of global warming can somehow be a bad thing.

Unruh
> > cites
GOP

> > entire