I was reading the comments on the APP website about the Guardian Angels as well.
It seems to me that most of the negative posters are the same people over and
over again,
such as Asbury Steve and Tillieisdead. There's also a handful of people who
just seem to
have a vendetta against the city.
What i'm noticing also is that there are more and more positive posts from
residents
defending the city.
Over the weekend, I was thinking about AP and it's incidental PR that we get
from
newspapers and things like CH12 news. It seems to me that the only times we
make it into
the news is either when Bruce comes to town, or something bad happens. The
reason I
mention Bruce is that once again, music puts AP on the nationwide map. When he
was
rehearsing in town, the whole country knew about it. In my opinion (and yes,
I'm a broken
record on this topic) Asbury Park would be very smart to recapture it's musical
heritage
and direct redevelopment in that direction. People will always go out for good
music, and
good food, and neither of those are dictated by a fluctuating market. People
drive all the
way to Atlantic City to see shows at The Borgota and the House of Blues. They
also go to
Red Bank for the Count Basie and the new theater in town. We should be trying
to capture
some of that market. But honestly, I feel like it's useless talking about it
because except
for the few of us that always bring it up here, it's not even in the plans for
the city. We put
all of our eggs in a real estate basket without even solving the cities social
woes first.