I've had a one bedroom condo for rent for several months now.  It
finally rented, and we had the city come in and do their inspection.
The unit was totally redone and is in perfect shape.  In fact, it's
probably the nicest unit in the building (the rest of the building is
not very well maintained).

It was actually a re-inspection because we had people flake out on us.
The first inspector gave us very high marks and said how this was
the "new asbury park".

This inspector didn't go that route.  He took it upon himself to point
out that the bedroom needed to be 150 sq ft - and that we only had
144.  We had to plead with him to pass us.

I realize that building codes serve a purpose, but how about they focus
on the people not trying to positively impact the city first.