>From belmar's website  based on BOCA code (which is the standard held
by the courts, I THINK:

PM-405.3 Area for sleeping purposes: Every room occupied for sleeping
purposes by one occupant shall contain at least 70 square feet (7m2)
of floor area, and every room occupied for sleeping purposes by more
than one person shall contain at least 50 square feet (5m2) of floor
area for each occupant thereof.

PM-405.5 Overcrowding: Dwelling units shall not be occupied by more
occupants than permitted by the minimum occupancy area requirements
of Table PM-405.5.

So ONE bedroom, 120 sq ft, should be sufficent for 2 people.

Based on what little I really know, if you have 3 people, you need
170 sq ft (120+50)

BUT, the living room usually counts as a habitable room for sleeping
purposes.

What happens here (in America) is that a family of 4 sees a nice one
bedroom apartment and it is a DREAM to have something so nice that
they can share. Then you hae to explain the law to them on why we
consider it overcrowding - in English.

For fun, go to the LEGAL SERVICES of NJ website directly @
http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/irentmyhome/tenantsrights/in
dex.cfm

THEY EVEN HAVE THE GUIDE IN SPANSIH
http://www.lsnjlaw.org/espanol/index.cfm

or access it from RentLaw.com - and we're working on some spanish
versions of this as well. Why? The FASTEST growing market for
Internet and REAL ESTATE - the Latino market.

I picked up a good booklet at a convention - "The potential of
Hispanic Homeownership: Challenges and Opportunities" by the National
Association of Hispancic Real Estate Professionals.